Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 30, 2024, 12:39:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

removing wood

Started by evanbever, October 07, 2013, 05:59:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

evanbever

I am reupholstering a sofa and when finished stripping I found that the stretcher fabric for the back part of the deck had been stapled to the back railing and on top of that a 2x2 had been stapled with thick wood staples I assume to better secure the stretcher fabric, do I remove this with a crow bar and get a new 2x2? I don't have the tools to remove the heavy wood staples and some of them are too deep anyway.

DDandJ

I'm working on a chair in which a piece wood was stapled to the deck underneath the deck fabric.  It is held in by staples but it is attached to the S-springs.  The deck fabric, at the seam with the cover fabric, was stapled to this piece of wood rather than sewn by hand.  I left the piece of wood.  I didn't staple my new deck to it.  I put new burlap on the deck over the springs and hand stitched my new deck to that.

Hope this makes sense.

Jeremy

evanbever

Thanks for your input, my piece of wood is actually attached on top of the stretcher fabric that is attached to the deck fabric so the stretcher fabric is sandwiched in between the 2x2 and the railing if any one else has some ideas I would appreciate

gene

Pictures would be helpful. You may be able to staple right onto your 2 x 2's, but I'm not sure exactly what you have.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

It kinda sounds like this 2x2 might have been put there just to take up space and bring the back rail up higher. This is sometimes done on front rails to raise the rail over the springs. If this pice of wood is lower than your springs then just leave it there. Cut the old decking off with a knife if you want and staple the new to the 2x2. If the 2x2 brings the back rail higher than the springs then remove it. You never want a rail above the springs as it will put to much stress on the frame when you compress the springs (sit in it).
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Evan: What kind of springs do you have? Is it No-sag? Or coil springs? Or is it some type of Perma-mesh? What you're describing reminds me of the spandex-type elastic stretcher that is sometimes sewed to the back of some loose-cushion recliner deck pads. In any event, since they used an elastic stretcher, you might be right in assuming that the 2 X 2 is there for extra protection to keep the staples from pulling out under stress.

But without pics, I'm not sure that doing it back that way is necessary. Like the others say, you might be able to just pull you deck material through, and staple it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

evanbever

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y423/elsavanbever2/080_zps2dd926fc.jpg

Thanks so much for all of your replies, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I haven't been  on the site for a while and then I have been trying to figure out how to post some photos. I hope this link works if it doesn't I will keep trying till it does
These are front and back views of the 2x2 and back railing, as well as the type of springs, the wood in question is above the springs.

sofadoc

It's possible that the extra 2X2 rail was just there to help prevent the spring clips from pulling out of the wood that they're mounted to. It wouldn't hurt to put it back, but isn't totally necessary.

I wouldn't worry about the deck fabric coming unstapled. 

MinUph

It looks like that 1x1 on top of the bottom rear rail is to fasten the skirt to by the staple holes. I don't see any wood over the ziggers.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on October 19, 2013, 07:02:46 pm
It looks like that 1x1 on top of the bottom rear rail is to fasten the skirt to by the staple holes. I don't see any wood over the ziggers.
Yeah Paul, that makes more sense. I guess I read his post wrong. I thought he had already removed a rail from the top of the spring clips before he took the pic.

kodydog

Took me a while to figure too. As far as reattaching the deck fabric (and the inside back fabric), I would leave the 2X2 in place and just staple it to the back of the rail the springs are attached to.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

evanbever

Thanks again for all your input, I put the old skirt up to the lower back railing (from the floor up) and the top edge of the skirt is just below the bottom of the 1x1 so I don't think it was there to attach the skirt to, but your replies have really helped me to understand what to do. By the way I am a she, I should have signed my name-Elsa