Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:12:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

CAMIE FOAM & FABRIC ADHESIVE CLEAR

Started by Mike8560, November 20, 2011, 02:32:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

JuneC

Yes.  I love that it cleans off the FACE of vinyl with denatured alcohol.  I don't like that it never loses it's tack.  It holds pretty well, but as far as I'm concerned, it's great for temporary tacking of foam to foam, foam to vinyl, etc but not forever.  For a permanent, dry bond, I like Keyston high-temp adhesive in the spray can.  Holds like a SOB.  For very large areas, I like DAP Weldwood landau adhesive (I spray it on with a wanna-be Binks pot and compressor).  That stuff is amazing!  Wear your respirator  :-\  For foam to foam I like K-Grip (sprayed on with glue pot and compressor as well). 

Now maybe my Cami experience is because of the hot/humid S. Florida environment.  Any of you guys up north have the same experience as me?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

I use the Camie 313B clear adhesive in the 1 gallon can. I apply it with a K-Grip sprayer. I use it for bonding foam, and glueing batting to foam.
With the K-grip sprayer, I don't have to clean the nozzle after each use.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

November 20, 2011, 04:03:17 pm #3 Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:46:00 pm by Mike8560
i have some wall to add  hulliner and may need top glue viunyl to 1/4" foam
were do you get the keyston june miami i think has weldwood

Mike8560

is this it june?
http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=DAP233

ive used s 16 i think in gallons and was able to brush ity on doing carpet. id like to brush it on in the boat as to not make a mess miami  listed it as brushable what do you think?

JuneC

Yep.  Great stuff.   Thins with mineral spirits if it's absolutely necessary.  Don't thin unless you HAVE to.  I apply like Darren suggests (or was it Russell???)).  Ignore the directions.  Spray both surfaces, let dry for a day, then position (both pieces dry lets you move around at will), then re-activate with a heat gun.  Works a treat!  Holds damn near forever!

June

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

What do you lay the foam and vinyl together after a day of waiting and heat the outside of the vinyl with heat? Or lift the. Into and heat the glue directly?

JuneC

I don't laminate then install.  I put up the foam on the hull, followed with the vinyl.  If the hull was very flat, then you could laminate first, then install, but as we mariners all know, if there's a curve, the vinyl will want to crease.  So, to get the curve all good. I put up the foam first.  Let cure for a day, then vinyl. 

NOTE to ALL: spraying glue inside a boat will not only get you high as a kite and ruin your lungs, it creates a deadly explosive environment.  Wear a respirator (Home Depot sells one with VOC filters) so you don't lose your sense of reality.  Open every hatch and porthole that exists, and use two fans - one blowing in, and at the other end, one blowing out.  Do NOT let the fumes build up.  Stop and let the air change periodically. 

June

W. C. Fields