Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 09:49:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Frayed Thread

Started by brmax, March 13, 2015, 09:38:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Just wanted to share the product name  Mitchell Abrasive  I found and used in preparing the aftermarket welt feet to work as they should.
I did not search much at all, and so ordered 1 each #49 with a grit 120 and #50 with 180 grit at 12. bucks and shipping was more ? whats it coming to.
This works real nice when using a vise for "final" smoothing the needle hole surfaces.
For what it worth the feet I had all required extensive work, de tempering, grinding, welding, filing, sanding and re tempering.
I have the 1/8 3/16 1/4 5/16 3/8 1/2 welt w/cutouts and the two zipper left and right all done and running straight and true at slow medium fast, in my paper trick test. What I thought was a pain and should be the "standard" so not having the constant adjusting of equalization with the step height on each and now has been taken care of as I filed them or welded and then filed all the same mounted height as my factory standard juki had, not that they are all the perfect but Im sure way closer in tolerance.  I picked these all up online and they are from the normal run of big name sellers. With these particular feet on this 1508 the presser feet had to be clearance at the needle bar area mostly on the right with the screw being there hitting, now this I only noticed with the knee lift totally up.  I want to mention each and every one had a standard hole drilled and that's about it they were so out on all measurements its ridiculous the hole was standard and .030 larger than the screw. Each needle hole had to be extensively filed to get a proper clearance most were to close to each other on the bottoms and one actually rubbed. As I inspected each in the mounting took measurements and made note for each, In this project it was easily clear the mount hole and top mount surface on both was to change for standardization leaving most bottom surfaces as is ? for now, so I welded all the holes except one primarily because the heights were easily .090 different now there within .007 of each other and that's because I sanded them and they run straight and true, I should clear that they all are 1.555-7 and my std juki is 1.562 on pressure foot and all walkers are 1.442 I am a bit more knowledgeable on what it really requires and have a better idea what I might get in an OEM.
I used one part number out of my manual for a 1/4 welt foot w/cutout and punched the numbers in at a place I have used before and consider good oem small parts the price on the presser foot alone was 146.00 and this is not an Adler or Pfaff so to finish this little rant anything can be done though the requirements and desired specification needs have to be evaluated seriously.

Im hard headed, but what should I expect for 12-15bucks
Good Day Everybody
and for all this loafing I landed nutha new white toy coming home to play with and a side loader