Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 12:37:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Recommendations on what machine to look for

Started by stickandtin, June 02, 2016, 06:11:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stickandtin

This question is not necessarily an upholstery one, but hoping to get some advice. I'm looking for recommendations on the best make/type of industrial sewing machine to use for soft furnishings, specifically draperies. Would a drop feed machine work for this application or is a needle feed better? Thanks in advance for any experiences the members here can share.

Virgs Sew n Sew

I recently sewed some draperies for a restaurant and I was able to use my Bernina 700 series machine.  It's a pricey machine but designed to handle multiple layers of fabric.  I didn't feel the fabric was right for using my industrial machine so that is why I opted to use my Bernina.  Worked like a charm. 

Virginia
Fuck this place.

MinUph

If your going to sew thinner fabrics you dont really want a walking foot.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Like Virginia and Paul mentioned with great points I chime in agreement with their post.

So in discussing that I have seen on here and elsewhere initially some of the thin materials that are slick you may want a needle feed type sew machine that assist in keeping layers from slipping around a bit.

Many two layer materials work fine with "just" the feed plate on the base of the machine moving the material as it rotates in a egg shape circle, as that wheel has been proven.

They started using the compound feed term in some of this jargon for us so we can assume the needle and bottom toothed plate "feed dogs" both move to bring the material in and pull on through.

So in short and some consideration I think as you mention draperies, that can be a pull or load and not as controllable as smaller articles. These thicker materials would be best with a compound feed machine with a basic hand lift of 3/8" would more than enough.

I would and do look for this as a light blue jean, draperies type materials to be running. Something important is really the thread the machine can handle efficiently and is it what you want to run. A machine designed for the regular weight and like needle 16-18 keeps my eye looking for machines as this.
In this group I'm sure you will find they have quickly tuned their machine of whatever to complete a typical product, though know very well its best to find a dedicated machine so welcome to the hunt.
I'm keeping an eye out for one of the older industrial singers

Good day
Floyd

stickandtin

baileyuph

Draperies, lighter materials, etc.  I use my drop feed copy of the Singer 31-15.  Just about every machine has merits for certain types of sewing.  If one only sews lighter materials, there wouldn't be much need for a needle feed walker.

There is one lighter weight material, the drop might not be my choice, vinyls!

Good luck,

Doyle

stickandtin

Wife and I have decided on a new Cowboy 538 needle feed from Toledo Industrial. We didn't know Cowboy made a needle feed until we placed a call to Toledo industrial looking for a used needle feed. We bought our first machine, a juki 1541S, from Bob Kovar. He has been great to work with and helped us through the Juki learning curve.