Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 12:32:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

interlock / coverstitch machine

Started by needles eye, May 27, 2011, 10:23:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

needles eye

Yo guys and gals,

I'm a newbie here and have been lurking around reading up on the internet forums before plunging in. Many thanks for the wealth of information and kind advice that your particular Forum has to offer. Looking for some feedback or input specifically regarding an industrial interlocker machine, that is, a 5 thread, 3 needle type being a Kingtex FT6503 model. From their internet site machine is described as a tape binding machine. Not to sure if this machine will be of any use to me for upholstery as have little experience as a thread injector. Would you please be so kind as to offer up your advice on interlocking and its uses? Thanx.

Anyway, I really need to buy some machines this week. Looking at a reconditioned Juki 227 (no autotack back or trimmer) for $AUD 700- and a Highlander walking foot machine  for $AUD1250-. But am open to whatever machines come along. Have a budget of 2 - 3 grand for the machines to start with. Mostly I'd like to cover some lounges and make some biminis and squabs  and shadecloths and Hobie 16 tramps etc. I envisage getting into light sail repairs too so had been looking around for something like a Berlina 217n. Missed out on one for a hundred and fifty bucks last week. Considering buying a walking foot zig zag. Anyway hoping to get a job sewing or work from home sewing whatever. Curtains maybe? Also really interested in learning and starting sewing repairs home biz as have an electronics and electromechanical service background. Just turned 50 and have a 4 your old daughter, and, hoping to work out of home to spend more time with my family.

I've a friend that has a really profitable business making tailored lounge covers who has been teaching me a bit lately (they've been renting a shed off me for 3 years in the back yard and but are moving out next fortnight). I'm currently attending a weekly 3 hour class at a polytech for the next 6 weeks. Have already learnt heaps from Youtube and this particular site. But it's been hard to get rolling initially, drats wish that had gotten into sewing long before now. Yet it grows as it goes.

The Kingtex FT6503 interlocking machine is available for six hundred bucks this weekend and looks pretty newish and rather well maintained. It is made in China. Is it worth buying it in light of what sewing I envisage possibly doing being as described earlier? Would the interlock stitch, or cover stitch, be practiable or even at all useful for any future upholstery work?

Going to check machine out tommorrow forenoon. Your feedback much appreciated.

Thanking you, and, cheers.
;D

Mojo

G'Day Mate:

It sounds like you are interested in getting started in Marine canvas work. If this is the case then you
would want a compound feed walking foot machine. There are several good brands out there ( Juki, Consew, Chandler, Seiko, Highlead, Pfaff, etc. ).

We have two Aussie stitchers on here that may be able to help you locate a good machine and provide you advice on how much to spend. Allan and Scottymc are both members here. Allan lives in Q Land and Scottymc is a Vic guy. Both are great guys and would be able to help you out.

Most machines are made in China these days. Some are still very good machines and some off brands are junk. I have no idea what brands are available in OZ so those two guys could let you know. Many of these machines are exact copies but carry different names in other countries.

A few of our Marine people can better explain what type of machine would be best for what you want. I do not think any of our Marine people have sergers or overlocker machines but I could be wrong. I have never heard of an interlocker machine so cannot help you there.

Chris

needles eye

G'day good buddy:

Thanks for your quick reply.  I'm in Perth West Oz, there are plenty of similar machines over here same as in the States except for the motor, but it's 240V here as opposed to your 110V. Yep a walking foot should my first machine, and, at polytech we use Adlers.

Had never heard of an interlock machine meself until yesterday, perhaps they are a bit to quick for upholstery and would probably need a servo motor as they can run at 6k rpm. If you are wearing a T shirt look have a quick look at the bottom, you can see how they put 2 stitches on the outside and a stitch similar to an overlocker (serger) on the inside. Thats the interlock stitch, incidentally there is no bobbin in these machines and all threads run straight off their roll into the machine and onto the fabric. No good for sails, to many holes for a stress riser. Probably a bit loose for upholstery, probably good for curtains.  Apparently these machines are real good for stretchy fabrics and for tape binding. Going to have a good look at it now.

Thanks mate.

bobbin

I would not think a coverstitch machine would be of particular use to you in a marine canvas/awning or upholstery application.  Which is not to say that they are not fabulous machines... simply that they are perhaps too specialized for your needs. 

A coverstitch machine is typically a specialized garment construction machine.  As stated, they are supremely engineered to handle interlock and memory yarn fabrics (lycras).   That application is where they excel, but unless you're working with that sort of fabric I would counsel you to save your money, do more research on your immediate machinery needs and focus on the basic pcs. of equipment required to provide you with a sound arsenal. 

I suggest the following:
1.)  a sturdy walking foot, compound feed single needle lockstitch
2.)  perhaps a 5 thread overlock machine
3.)  a basic needle feed single needle (useful for lighter work and drapery work)
4.)  a "post" machine; something with a walking foot, compound feed that allows you get into tight areas (think shoes and handbags). 

I come from a garment background and would love to own a coverstitch machine, but that's more a function of repeated requests for alteration work on interlock/lycra garments.  In fact, my next machine will either be a cover stitch or a buttonholer.  But in the usual course of drapery, slipcover, marine/awning work? no need for anything so specialized!

needles eye

Hiya bobbin, sincere kind thanks for your words of wisdom and insight.
Had a look at the coverstitch machine and although it is certainly a marvelous machine could perceive that it was no good for the work i'm intending. The lady selling it used to make sloppy joes and tracky pants, she mainly used an overlocker on most of the stuff 'though.
Looking at picking up a Singer 291U3 tomorrow for three hundred bucks, it's an older Japanese made one. Hey, it's a start. There's a Pfaff twin needle "post" walking foot machine around the corner for a grand am also considering that. Anyway, boring, boring, there are many machines around on the 2nd hand market locally and must start injecting some thread and will then get back to ya, your valuable input appreciated, best regards.
Again, thank you.
:o

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Needles eye,

You are really asking about four or five machines, and there is a certain level of service involved.  Allow me to send you a PM with a reputable dealer a little closer then the US for you to contact.

Good luck!

Allan

Hi Needles Eye

Check out this place
They are in WA also
http://www.needleseyeindustries.com/

They have new and second hand machines
I have dealt with them and found them helpful however they changed hands so not sure what the new mob is like

Allan

needles eye

Thanks Allan, Evan is new owner of Perth NEI, he is cool, cheers mate.