Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 12:03:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

windshield frame lifting from glass when fitting bimini

Started by Judy_Boat, May 23, 2015, 07:14:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

Ran into a slight problem when pulling to fit a bimini top. I could see that the windshield frame is lifting away from the top of windshield glass right in front of the drivers seat.
About a 10" section length
( this is the crest liner job referenced in another post.)

I have tugged the rubber gasket back down onto the glass and used a rubber mallet to pound the frame back down (about a foot of the frame was lifting up). But, If I push on the frame it will lift back up (as will attempting the fit the bimini snaps.)

The owner does know there is a problem with the windshield, so that issue is okay. But if I go ahead and basically loosely fit the bimini , will the frame then lift later if you go boating with the bimini up and the wind pulls it.

Can I crimp it back onto the glass?  Should this be glued?

brmax

If its not at the walk thru corner joint where a screw would be then another option is in order.
It is a bummer but its not designed for the normal windshield glue as like you said it is just in a compression fit with that seal, hmmm.
I thought and wondered but doubt it, ? is there any places where screws go through the aluminum a bit, say acting as a pin "missing" if not at this late eve  I would consider something of that sort.
Im considering that windshield plexi and not a glass of course.
This is going to need some help from June, Mike, Chris and the many others here that have btdt im sure.

Judy_Boat

Lifting is not at a corner, it is along the top curved section of the windshield. The compression fit is gone in that area.I was wondering if I could crimp it back using padded pliers/clamps.
The windshield was removed in the past by some else doing repairs and I do not think replaced too well. The pass through section binds every time you open it.

Darren Henry

If it is a glass windshield, I'd get the local glass company or body shop to look at it. I took the windshield out of '43 cruiser once putting snaps in. there is normally about a 1/4" gap between the glass and the edge of the frame. This one not so much---the minute the drill bit touched the glass, it shattered like i had hit it with a 12 lb. sledge.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

me id tell the owner and not pull overyly with the top   its hiw window his problem not mine .
and not to be picky this is not a bimini a bimini is a free standinff top ad the canvas dosed not attach to the window only th efeames of the top usualy 3 bows, this is commonly know as a navy top on your of a sport top usualy lower.

Darren Henry

Funny how terminology varies. Up here that would be called a convertible top regardless how high it was. A navy top is what we call the old style where the bows all attach to the hull like a covered wagon instead of being a wishbone like that. Usually only see them on old wooden boats.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!