Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 12:41:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Future Leather Technology - Interesting

Started by RiCat, March 20, 2018, 06:07:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RiCat

This could be get interesting if it becomes available to the upholstery industry.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/this-lab-grown-leather-could-hit-retailers-next-year

Price, quality, non-waste, designs...

Rick

baileyuph

Interesting report, the technology, apparently developed in the east cost area with the specific
objective of being much higher quality.  It also appears they will be on the market within the year on
some leather applications.

Interesting to know and will be watching the trip of the organic leather to come on the market.  The
report doesn't suggest it will be low end (instead pricey), which leads the thinking that the foreign
low quality/price available today will be around, hopefully the time will be short.

A comment, the leather in our expensive vehicles, for the most part is decent to pretty good. It isn't
top grain (with hide thickness which would be very pricey), but decent on most. 

Thanks for the report,

Doyle

kodydog

Several questions.

They say, "is not designed to serve as imitation leather but rather a new and improved version of it." Will they be able to call this genuine leather? I'll bet the leather industry will not like that.

Will they make a version suitable for upholstery? It looks like they are marketing toward apparel.

Will this satisfy the PETA crowd? And how will they know if you are wearing a lab-grown bioleather hide or one taken from an animal?

I look forward to seeing how this develops.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Not too sure about this. I agree with Kody - and don't believe leather suppliers will be happy to let this be called genuine leather.

Would be interesting to see, touch, smell some of it though.

MinUph

Liquid Leather. It isn't a hide so it is not Genuine Leather and I'm fairly certain it won't be able to be called Genuine Leather. I am leary of this new product at least for upholstery use. There is a lot of stress on furniture coverings. This might well be a nice product for other uses. I can see it it being sprayed on many things to give it a nice feel and touch.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Technology has reached the fabric industry in many ways. New fabrics, mill techniques, fibers, etc. are here and even more coming. Sattler just released an acrylic awning fabric that has CBD fiber. It also just released a 3-d acrylic awning fabric.

This fabric has an amazing hand to it and is so tightly woven that it feels nearly silk smooth. We were one of the launch customers in the USA and have rebranded it under our trademark name Coachguard Elite and Coachguard 3-D.

Here is the article: www.rv-pro.com/news/stone-vos-unveils-new-acrylic-fabrics

Mojo