Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 06:07:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Furniture repair 101

Started by byhammerandhand, February 22, 2015, 08:31:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

byhammerandhand

From the same source, 10 ways to move furniture
http://www.familyhandyman.com/storage-organization/10-tips-for-moving-furniture?utm_content=buffer875dc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Probably old hat to most of us, but now I know it's called "hooking"

I have gotten calls from people who want me to disassemble their sectionals to move to the basement then reassemble.   Thanks, but no thanks.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on February 23, 2015, 06:09:34 am
I have gotten calls from people who want me to disassemble their sectionals to move to the basement then reassemble.   Thanks, but no thanks.
Not a big problem in Texas. I can't recall ever seeing even ONE basement. But I get calls to move large pieces into a tight spot sometimes. Actually, I would consider doing it (on some styles). But the average customer thinks that I should do it for about $25. When I tell them $75 service call PLUS $50 hr., they can't hang up fast enough.

Only rarely have I encountered a situation where it TRULY required disassembling a piece in order to get it through a tight hallway or door. Most of the time, it just takes a little finesse. 

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Thank you for the info. I bookmarked the quick fixes. As first I thought it was going to be things like herein, coke, glue spray in a paper bag...

On the 10 ways to move furniture:

They said ""Hook" Chairs Around Corners". I always tell my helpers to think of the chair as the letter "C".

They could have added #11. Get someone else to do it for you.

I never thought of Texas not having basements. Huh. The things one learns on this forum. I know Florida does not have basements. Kansas has tornado shelters. At least Dorothy's family had one.

gene

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

I think I figured out why my knees ache at the end the day.   I've been working around the house lately.   Bedroom on second floor, workshop in basement. After we repainted one of the bedrooms, I carried the paint supplies back to storage, carried tools up to rehang the drapes, trips to get new door glides for the closet door, moved up the shelves for the new bookcases, etc.    When finished, I worked some more on the beds I'm making.    I estimated I did 100 flights of stairs that day.   Yesterday, in normal day, I had nearly 30 flights in by lunch time when I quit counting.   And my doc wants to know what I do for exercise?
Keith

Darren Henry

QuoteBedroom on second floor, workshop in basement. ---30 trips by lunch time---

I wish I still had the pics of the "personnel conveyer " United Grain Growers had in their Vancouver elevator when I was a teen. I know you could do it, but building an elevator would be expensive and time consuming. This rig was slick, it was a vertical conveyor belt with hand and foot placements that ran continuously. I you're going up walk up to this side and grab the hand bar and then step on the tread as it came by---going down step on the other side, DUH!!! LOL. Wire your motor to a four way switch so you only have to run it if you're going somewhere, and add a basket between the "anchor points" for your tools, coffee, sandwich etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

I did some work for a large distribution center a few years ago.  It took 10 minutes to walk from one end of the building to the other.   When a order was being filled, the pickers had to go up and down the aisles to pick the item, put it in a cart, then eventually drop off at the packing and shipping center.    Hello, robots???

Many years ago, I was in the SwissAir maintenance facility.   Two things impressed me.   One was the number of bicycles with baskets that anyone could hop on and run for parts or whatever.   The other was a board on each bay, that all went something like :   IN    31 Jan 0930    Out  17 Feb 1415.     Ah, the Swiss -- I missed more than one train because the train started to move from the station just the second the clock on the platform ticked off 0944 and 0 seconds.
Keith

gene

My future in laws recently bought a travel trailer. They visited the factory in Northern Indiana. A lot of Amish people work there. Big building. They said the most amazing thing was how fast the Amish drove the fork lifts. They said they are allowed to used electricity and tools at work but not at home. They were not allowed to use any cameras but they tried to video one guy who was zipping around picking up stuff with a fork lift and "barely showing down" to do it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

I took a trip to NE Ohio Amish country last year.   I didn't get into any of the woodworking shops, but the campground we stayed at brought in cutoffs for campfires.   One day were a bunch of guitar blanks obviously cut on a CNC machine.    I spent some time in a large lumber store and all the Amish guys and gals were huddled around their computers doing whatever work they were doing, or just playing Candy Crush?
Keith