Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 09:59:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Use of cotton batting

Started by 65Buick, June 04, 2018, 09:12:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

I haven't used much of the cotton batting simply because of price. But I find that I like the way it works and am using it more.

In this chair: http://gdurl.com/48qf

when I removed the old cover it was strictly cotton on top of the springs. I used a piece of foam and now want to cover it in cotton. My question is, is it better to use one piece for the seat, and one piece for the edge, OR just use one piece to cover over all of it? I just envision that if one uses a single piece to cover over then at the edge it would get stretched and thin from the springs moving up and down.

The cover was placed right on top of the cotton. There was no dacron. The chair is from 1958 so I'm not even sure dacron was around then. Would it better to then go over the cotton with a piece of dacron, or just straight over? I will be using top grain italian leather. So I want to do the best that I can.

kodydog

June 04, 2018, 12:12:46 pm #1 Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:14:04 pm by kodydog
May I assume the chair takes a cushion? A very long time ago I had a customer complain because he could see and feel the outline of the spring through the seat deck. Ever since then I always make sure there is enough padding, even though the cushion covers it. A problem occurs when using too much padding under the deck that is now the seat front needs to be built up also.

Of all the different padding types for decks, cotton is my favorite. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

No, it's all tight. No separate cushion.

SteveA

I would say that 99 % of every job I do gets the dacron wrap before the fabric.  It outlines and evens out the form + softens and adds comfort. I usually pull it tight like it was a piece of muslin.
SA

65Buick

I'd agree that's a smart thing to do Steve. Having worked with it a bit now I understand it's purpose.
What do you prefer, the 3/4oz or the 1oz, when it comes to seats?

SteveA

It's the thinner one - not sure of the oz - but maybe 1/2 inch thick. 
SA

Recently I was doing an overnight at a hotel away from home. I took my computer down to the bar to do some work. I sat down at the bar and I asked the bartender, 'What's the wifi password?'

Bartender: 'You need to buy a drink first.'

Me: 'Okay, I'll have a beer.'

Bartender: 'We have Miller Lite on tap.'

Me: 'Sure. How much is that?'

Bartender: '$8.00.'

Me: 'Here you are. OK now, what's the wifi password?'
Bartender: ' "youneedtobuyadrinkfirst"; No spaces and all lowercase.'

65Buick

I stapled the edge of the foam down hoping to have a nice rounded look. Found out the hard way that makes it much harder to fill out the corners of the cover.
I also had a problem with the leather being defective so I will have to start over.

This time I plan to cut a piece of foam to hang over the edge about 1/2" and then build up the sides of the seat to the same thickness. Won't staple the edge down. And find some decent material - be it vinyl, leather or whatever.

MinUph

65 If you are just covering the seat as a tight seat and want the front edge to be rounded cut your foam about an inch over the front edge and glue a thin piece pf fabric on the top edge of the foam about 2" in and then upholster that to the frame first. It will hold the foam in place and you can work the edge nice and rounded. It is hard to tell what the seat should look like from the picture.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

When you're short a nice layer of dacron will fill voids.  You could place some cotton into the corners.
SA

65Buick

I had forgotten about the muslin stripping. I did try the cotton.
I think if it were a woven I might have been o.k.

I should have taken a photo but basically the front corners were just not filling out. The rest was beautiful.
With the muslin stripping I.m just inviting that problem again, aren't I?