Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 09:25:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

cutting corners

Started by 65Buick, January 15, 2018, 11:29:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

http://gdurl.com/aBYB

This front armrest corner. I thought I had it worked out with scrap and then made a mistake on my velvet.
I pleat the corner in place, then I make a V cut on the side, and tuck the fabric down the front of the armrest.
Is this correct?
And my pleats, do they pleat toward the armrest, or toward the center?

MinUph

This style arm can have sewn in pleats in the front. They look nice and fit well.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Yup. That's what I'm doing. I haven't done a multiple cut post yet.

Am I do V-cut the front of the post, or the side? I practiced both sides but it seems logical to do the side (inner) and the fold or tuck away the rest.

MinUph

I take it you are placing like 2-3" of foam on top of the arm and padding over this down to the break of the top arm wood. You would fit this either by measurement or by fitting to the arm. It looks like a 2x4 on the top arm. So that is 3 1/2" wide you will have some filling on the sides of this making maybe 4 1/2" wide. I would call it 4" finish on the top down to 3 1/2 to the bottom that is down the thickness of the 2x4 1 1/2" plus the foam say 2" so it would finish 3 5/8" at 3" down. Taper the front edge and the side edge so all stays straight. When you sew the corners turn the fabric towards the back of the chair so you done see into the seam from the front. Make sense?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

January 22, 2018, 03:47:30 pm #4 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:07:37 pm by 65Buick
Here we go. Needs some adjustments. Front seam isn't straight. There will be another piece at the bottom of the frame.

http://gdurl.com/HgnW

p.s. cutting around the front edge curve is a tricky one. As I mentioned there was a bit of elastic there and I believe it was used to keep this fabric from being pushed up. Certainly I cut I could use to master.

seanlopez

Do you still need help with that?
Hi to everybody here!