Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 08:01:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Seam type

Started by 65Buick, August 01, 2017, 04:15:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

I had someone asking me about seams.

Respectively, I called these 1)topstitched 2)reinforced or french.

http://gdurl.com/bSYa
http://gdurl.com/puZZ

With the chair, I'm not sure french seam is the correct term. Also, what did they do to get that look at the front of the seat?

sofadoc

I call those a flange seam. Curious to hear what some others call it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Sounds like as good as any name Dennis. I have this type of seam on my recliner. Kinda like it. Mine is a bit larger flange but the same idea. Welt without cord.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Is a flange seam the same as a fell seam ?

We use this with awnings. Double stitch the two end together and then fold over and top stitch.
I used to use this seam when I was doing motorcycle seats and such.

A true french seam I thought was one that single stitched underneath and then a piece of fabric place behind it and a double row of stitching used as a top stitch.

Actually I have a french seam foot. It has a spring loaded guide which rides in the ditch to keep each stitch line centered.

Mojo

brmax

In the second photo i cannot tell if any cording is used, veiwing on my phone. It kinda looks just burnished real leather with marine black dye possibly. Again i might need a bigger screen
Veiwing the double stitch seam from my short time stiching, I consider a french seam as i heard that most.
Though i assume its 3 stitch lines with a reinforcement backer when each s.a. is folded over.
It is showing up in the marine upholstery area fwiw. Im probably wrong but this design must have been considered when SolarFix came out with the many brilliant colors. The big thread is popular but sure takes a bigger machine in reality. In looking in the past for big stitchers i ran on to some machines from cowboy. They had some videos putting some of these big threads in. Much was only for looks but still requires the big machines.

Floyd

65Buick

August 03, 2017, 12:05:25 pm #5 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:08:14 pm by 65Buick
This is confusing and interesting. First, not too worried about the black sofa. Top-stitched, flange, whatever. It's easy to convey what you want (or the customer)

The reinforced stitch on the orange chair is different. The more I research, the more apparent that it is not a French seam. Everyone calls it this, though.

French seams are inverted; the fabric (usually leather) is stitched wrong sides together. Instead of trying to explain, please google search. You will see what the finish looks like.

sofadoc

You're right. A "true" French Seam is inverted. A lot of upholsterers mistakenly identify most any kind of top seam as a French seam.

Personally, I don't worry much about proper terminology because I seldom give the customer options to fret over. I just do what I want, and they take it.

65Buick

Floyd, I've watched cechaflo before and enjoy just the instruction without sound. Simple.
Sofadoc I agree losing a job to seam type would be virtually non-existent. The person was asking just for their own info, and I didn't want to be wrong. Mostly seam types are used for the best strength in particular apps. Though in the case of the flange that's obviously decorative.

sofadoc

Gregg........5 years between posts?

What the hell?

Darren Henry

to a leathercrafter or a shoe maker that "French seam" would be called a luggage or baggage stitch.  Their suppliers carry a sticky twill tape called back seam tape just for doing those seams.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

You can google US Prison systems and see all the reasons someone might be gone for 5 years.

Also, I believe it's usually a 5 year stint studying with a Tibetan Lama on the snowy slopes outside of Kathmandu.

Just sayin'.

I went to my profile and got rid of the spam. Change the default to no smiley.

QuoteA lot of upholsterers mistakenly identify most any kind of top seam as a French seam.
I'm a lot of upholsterers.

Last but not least, why would I want free stuff from an X winner?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Damn, either we've been hacked or the moderator is trying something new. $
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I submitted a report to the moderator.

sofadoc

I guess you guys are still seeing the giant spam ad when you try to comment or reply? I am.

I see that gregg's first post in 5 years got deleted in an effort to clean up the spam.

brmax

August 10, 2017, 03:48:28 pm #14 Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:50:48 pm by brmax
I did see that also and changed my profile as mentioned, removed smileys.
Seems all good now, we will see. I will need to tweak how i see post now, guess i did not check some boxes.

good day
Floyd