Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 05:59:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Machine

Started by GMP, February 22, 2011, 02:19:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GMP

I joined because this is the best discussion board that I have found and is extremely informative. At this point and time I am just a hobbyist (Last 3 or 4 years) but hope to make a part time fun business out of it when I retire from my full time job in 3 years. FYI- My full time job has nothing to do with upholstery or sewing. I purchased a portable Thompson PW301with the standard little motor that it comes with for my beginners machine and have used it for many Sunbrella and Vinyl related projects. The machine was marginal to say the least on some of the Sunbrella projects as I was going through up to 5 or 6 layers at times. I am also looking to do some Ultraleather projects as well in the future. I am ready to move up to a better machine. I am planning on selling the Thompson and I want the next machine that I purchase to be my last. I am considering the Juki 1541S with the Artisan servo motor but also like the Pfaff 1245. The Juki costs quite a bit less than the Pfaff which makes it even more attractive. My question is this---Knowing the type of materials that I work with (Sunbrella, Vinyl, Ultraleather, etc) are these 2 machines to heavy duty for what they will be used for? I know that a lot of you all sew on heavy leather which I do not plan on doing (But who knows). Would really appreciate machine recommendations from you pros out there if you don't mind. I did read the newbee section for machine recommendations but it seemed to be based around really heavy materials. Like I said, I want this to be the last machine I buy. Thanks

Greg

bobbin

I own a brand new Juki 1541 and I've recently begun doing slipcover work with it.  I have had no trouble whatsoever threading and adjusting it to run a size 16-18 needle and 69 weight thread.  It handles fabrics that are lighter/more delicate than the Sunbrellas you're using with ease and without mangling them.  It's a very, very nice machine. 

I've also used it to mend multiple layers on horse blankets and thickly reinforced areas of the deck canopy I made for our home.  The key to it is to pay attention to needle size, thread size, stitch length, and be willing to take your time adjusting it for the work you expect it to do. 

I worked on a Pfaff 1245 for a few years.  It was perfectly serviceable and reliable, though I never thought it was any great shakes.  I was also familiar with the Pfaff 545 at that time.  I prefer the Juki, hands down. 

sofadoc

Both are wonderful machines. Personally, I don't see where the Pfaff is worth $500-$600 more than the Juki. I've sewed on both. To me, the Juki is a little more versatile when going from thick to thin fabrics.
And since Pfaff parts typically cost more, I prefer Juki also.
But there ARE a lot of Pfaff Pfans out there. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I started out with a Thompson mini walker and your right, it is marginal when getting into heavy fabrics. :) I about wore that poor thing out sewing some of the stuff I was working with.

I finally broke down and ordered a new machine from Bob Kovar who is a member of this forum and owns Toledo Sewing Machine Co.

I contacted him and we talked about a new machine. Bob has 40 years experience in the business and has a very large clientele so he has a vast amount of experience working with upholsterers. I told him the fabrics I would be sewing and the work I do and he suggested the Consew 206rb5 or the Chandler 406rb. I selected the Chandler ( it was cheaper then the Consew ) and paid the extra money for a servo motor. That was probably the smartest thing I did as this servo motor is awesome. The Chandler has sewn everything I have thrown at it. If I can get it under the foot it will sew it. :)

When I placed my order with Bob he took the machine out of the box, set it up, adjusted it and then boxed it back up and shipped it to me. I assembled the table and it sewed perfectly right out of the box.

My suggestion is to contact a reputable dealer like Bob and discuss your work with him. He can help guide you and make a good selection on a machine. Bob's number is 419-380-8540. He is a very honest person, very patient and extremely helpful.

Best of luck with your machine purchase.

Chris

Mike8560

chris do they have a website?i couldnt google one

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

February 22, 2011, 06:48:56 pm #5 Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:58:58 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: bobbin on February 22, 2011, 02:48:34 pm
I worked on a Pfaff 1245 for a few years.  It was perfectly serviceable and reliable, though I never thought it was any great shakes.  I was also familiar with the Pfaff 545 at that time.  I prefer the Juki, hands down.  

Now this is a historic moment; This may be the very first time, in writing, that I have seen someone with first hand experience put a Juki in front of a Pfaff!  You better be in the witness protection program, or carry a big stick, as I feel the Pfaff police are going to be out in full force, and looking for you!

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on February 22, 2011, 06:48:56 pm
Now this is a historic moment; This may be the very first time, in writing, that I have seen someone with first hand experience put a Juki in front of a Pfaff! 

Hey, I have a competitor in town who bought a new Pfaff 1245 about a year ago.
He came over to my shop and sewed on my Juki LU 1508. He likes mine better.
He said that he Pfeels Pfooled by the Pfaff Pfanatics! :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

GMP

I really appreciate all of the comments and recommendations so far. Not looking to start any machine bashing (Pfaff vs Juki) because from the all of the research that I have done they both are awesome machines. My first choice actually was the Pfaff 1245 until I started researching the Juki 1541S. Now I have the Chandler and Consew thrown into the mix which now further complicates my choices. I hope that I continue to get more responses. I do question what the additional cost for the Pfaff will provide me over the Juki.

Thanks for your responses

Grebo

Interesting, I only have the experience of the machines I own, getting a test drive over here is virtually impossible, no matter how much you are paying  :'(   My first industrial was a pfaff 545 by default, it was the only secondhand machine up for sale at the time  ::)  I now have a seiko STH-8BLD-1 because it was being sold as part of a liquidation sale.
I think I would prefer the seiko over the pfaff, if I ever get it set up right.  :-X
Would love to try a Juki sometime  ::)

bobbin

I'm glad Chris pointed out the manifest delight of servo motors.  My two Jukis both have servo motors and I'm sold on them, too.  They are wonderfully quiet and very energy efficient.  They do allow very precise machine control, although after the amount of time I've been sewing I've never had any trouble controlling a machine set up with a clutch motor.  But the servos are fabulous! and well worth purchasing.

In fact, I'm so taken with them that I plan to convert my overlock machine and my blindstitch machine to servo motors as funds become available.  If for no other reason than "sound-proofing" and energy efficiency.

As for Jukis... I remember when their offering in the "full function" market was a total dog.  There was one in the shop I worked for and we all hated it... the tack and trim was slow and clunky.  At that time Mitsubishi and Brother were leading the charge in full function machines.  Juki evidently sat up and took notice and went back to the drawing board... the results of that honest reflection are second to none, IMO.  They're fabulous machines that perform flawlessly day in/day out.  And if you take good care of them they will run forever. 

stew-cheryl

If anyone is thinking about getting a servo, you should check out the gear reduction servo. We switched over to one about a year ago. It will sew through makrolon with ease.

JuneC

Quote from: stew-cheryl on February 23, 2011, 04:54:57 am
If anyone is thinking about getting a servo, you should check out the gear reduction servo. We switched over to one about a year ago. It will sew through makrolon with ease.

Now that's good to know.  Hey Greg, do you have those?  I really need to replace my two motors and one of my tabletops.  Actually I'd like to replace all three, but I think I'll put the best of my clutch motors on the less-used double needle. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

What is brand/model you speak of?  Sewing through Mackrolon is no small feat, on any machine.  I'm always on the hunt, trying to stay ahead of the curve for my customers.  About two years ago, we had a geared servo motor that sounded promising, but when tested had less low end torque and speed control than what we were already selling at that time.  This does not mean that things have not changed.  This would not be the 1st nor last time a customer alerted me to a new product that shows a lot of promise.  

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: JuneC on February 23, 2011, 05:59:06 am

Now that's good to know.  Hey Greg, do you have those?  I really need to replace my two motors and one of my tabletops.  Actually I'd like to replace all three, but I think I'll put the best of my clutch motors on the less-used double needle. 

June

Email sent

Saddleman

Quote from: GMP on February 22, 2011, 07:20:27 pm
I do question what the additional cost for the Pfaff will provide me over the Juki.

With the Pfaff you do get the Pfaff Club membership card, and the super secret decoder ring, but don't tell the Juki owners.   8)

Sewing machines are like motor oil....everyone has their brand.

Oh and Bobbin we need your ring back....LOL

Loren