Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 11:50:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bendarc/Crownarc

Started by JuneC, October 01, 2010, 09:10:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Anyone have a Bendarc and/or Crownarc they want to unload?  I'm looking to buy a pole bending setup.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

hiya

I use this June, it's very easy and  works for 90% of everything i do.
http://www.canvastraining.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=503

Rich

Darren Henry

I just use the conduit bender that electricians use to make my bends and then crown it by hand (well,by foot actually). I'm at home on the lap top and can't get at photobucket until I get back to Brandon but there should be a pic in some of my old posts. It takes up as much shop space as a broom and cost roughly $40 for the bender and another $10 for the piece of threaded pipe that is the handle.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

October 02, 2010, 10:08:15 am #3 Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:11:21 am by Mike8560
I think somone posted one on eBay not long ago. I just set mine back up on my trailor today. It's worth the money if your going to be bending allot of tubing. It's real fast and easy on e you get the math down.
I'm talking abkut bendarc.  

fragged8

hiya

have you used the wooden one like mine before Mike ?

There isn't really any math to do, all you need is the beam between
mounts and the length of the side leg which is taken off the extendable pole
with the frame curve on it. thats all i need to make a full frame.

it does mean though that you can only make one curve radius
Rich

Mike8560

Every once in awhile rich I'm asked to replace a broken bow ant to match the existing frames curve I'll make a jig to match similar to yours   You still have math though you need to know how long to cut the frame and allow for the radius curve and width loss due to your crown.I also use a adjustable bent tent pole to figure my numbers. And it's simple

Darren Henry

[quote you need to know how long to cut the frame and allow for the radius curve and width loss due to your crown][/quote]

with my bender (dang I wish I could find that picture) it's automatic. Subtract 6"  'cause that's what the stub takes up, 2 5/8 to back of bend ,add 1" for the crown and make the mirror image at the other end. Foolproof.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Peppy

We use a shop made plywood wheel. We have a formula (divide in 1/2, minus 9") that makes a bar finish what ever size your bend measurement is. Then crowning it brings it in 2" We usually measure the windshield of the boat and thats our bend. The 2" it comes in gives it a nice look. I crown bars by giving the bar a 'tweak' every 3". We use an 8"-ish radius wheel making a 9" radius on the outside curve of the bar.

Unlike you guys I make bend measurements from center instead of up the leg and make all my bars long. Having center of the bars is important to me. The bars are cut to size after being held up on the boat.

Interestingly, putting a 'schwang' crown (that is a crown perpendicular to the legs) on a bar does NOT cause it to 'suck in' those couple inches. Don't ask me why....
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Can-Vas

Quote from: Peppy on October 02, 2010, 05:13:11 pm

Unlike you guys I make bend measurements from center instead of up the leg and make all my bars long. Having center of the bars is important to me. The bars are cut to size after being held up on the boat.

Who say "us guys" don't use a center measurement?  :P
When using a bendarc that is a most important measurement...   
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Mike8560

Quote from: Can_Vas on October 02, 2010, 05:17:57 pm
Quote from: Peppy on October 02, 2010, 05:13:11 pm

Who say "us guys" don't use a center measurement?  :P
When using a bendarc that is a most important measurement...  

Exactly Howard!  I goofed up last week bending though and set my center mark on my frame wrong on a faded measurement mark on my bender stick and had to insert a 6" sleave in the center and shorten one leg when i was done  :-[

fragged8

hiya

i've  never thought of making a jig to re-create a different arc, good idea Mike
There have been jobs i've turned down because i couldn't match the orig frame.

how strong is a sleeve ? i cocked up a frame last week. I bent the wrong side
of the leg length line.

Rich

JuneC

Do any of you guys using pipe benders ever have issues with the tubing collapsing?  I've read that you need to fill the tube with sand and cap the ends to prevent collapse - but maybe that's just for really tight bends.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

I wrinkled a couple of pieces of electrical conduit as a kid before dad taught me what I was doing wrong; but I've never seen boat tubing collapse.

Benders like mine have a foot pad ;If you apply more pressure with your foot than on the handle with your arms, you'll never have a problem  ;)

rustyeod

Hey June
I use the BendArc and CrownArc, and purchased the software (easy frame 2) as well.  The system (all three together) is great at taking the guess work out of bending a frame.  My first frame (and all following) came out perfect and that was without any prior training.

Darren Henry