Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:57:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

marine thread

Started by JASS, November 10, 2010, 08:42:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JASS

Back in business again!  I ran a seamstress business for many years & found myself going from one extreme to another:  either customizing formal wear or boat upholstery.  My husband at the time had the boat connection.  I have chosen to return to the world of boat upholstery-just can't get away from the waterworld. 

I am looking for a good, reliable source for the marine quality thread.  The closest I have found is PerfectFit (4oz) $10.85.  Any suggestions from anyone?

Saddleman

Take a look at DLT at http://www.duboisfabrics.com/ or www.TheThreadExchange.com

Both carry polyester thread and are good suppliers.

Mojo

I just bought Solarfix from Miami Mike which is a member here. Miami also carries Sunguard which is a great marine thread.

You can contact Mike directly and he will give you a quote.

Mike Weunski

www.miamicorp.com

Phone>800.543.0448

Direct> 513-298-5519

Direct Fax>513-298-5519

E-mail> mweunski@miamicorp.com

Mike8560

November 10, 2010, 01:21:08 pm #3 Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:47:38 pm by Mike8560
Solarfix thread thatr the ptfe thread  like fenara  Let me know what you think Chris.
I use tenara with he same needle and tension that I use with v92 poly thread.btw I use no LEss then v92 poly thread for marine for uphollstery in boatS  that's whUat I use v92 poly  thread

Highvelocity

I was looking at the Thread Exchange site and it's seems that the price of bobbin is 5 times higher than the price of regular thread.  That seems a bit excessive if you ask me but hey it is what it is.  I used to buy it from a local marine canvas company, (big big shop), they eventually said we don't buy prewound bobbin anymore, now I see why.  

That's a great site though, they give a good explanation of the product they are selling.  I buy the #138 thread, and they explained the tensile strength, feet per once,etc.  Great buying info.

Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mojo

Mike:

The Solarfix didn't give me any fits. I was expecting it but never ran into any issues. I have been doing a lot of sewing with 138 so I did have to adjust my tension a little. Other then that it sewed OK.

I made four RV awnings using Solarfix and will continue to use it. Miami Mike has some very good prices on Solarfix. Also it carries the same warranty ( lifetime ) as Tenara. I think the two threads sew the same.

I ordered 1 lb of black Solarfix but forgot the price. I know Mike gave me a great deal and it was much cheaper then others.

Chris

Mike8560

Do you know if mike has the premade bobbins in solarfix Chris?

Jim101

November 10, 2010, 09:37:06 pm #7 Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:38:38 pm by Jim101
Jass,

I also use Perfect Fit and find they're prices to be competitive with a lot of the suppliers out there.  

If your on the West Coast, or near it,  Vaughn Bros. in Portland, Or. is also good. http://www.vaughanbros.com/  They have a website but its been "under construction" for as long as I can remember.  You'll have to call them for prices but they'll be happy to get a catalog out to you.

Tri Vantage is also good for West Coast suppliers.  Lisa is the contact and she works out of San Francisco.  You can e-mail me if you like for the contact info.  I don't remember it at the moment.  The shipping rates aren't too bad.

Outdoor Wilderness http://www.owfinc.com/is a great supplier for all kinds of things non-marine canvas related.  We started doing hiking gear repairs about six months ago and they have very good prices on materials.

For marine canvas repairs and fabrication we use the poly 138 or poly 92 thread.  This last Summer wasn't a great year for the marine canvas fabrication work because the weather was so crappy.  That and the economy I suspect.

There are a ton of great East Coast suppliers but the shipping costs will eat you alive especially if your out west.

Jim

JASS

Thanks everyone for your help, I will followup on the new connections.  So far Perfect Fit has the best prices I have found.

Wendi

forsailbyowner

Just one thing Ive noticed. I never use white polyester thread for anything exterior. Ive done some restitches that have failed in as little as 6 months(dont know manufacterers but they were all white thread). I did my own canvas with white sungard when I was first starting canvaswork. It failed way too early and have been using only tenara or other brands of lifetime thread for all exterior canvas work since mine failed. Same goes with zippers. Ive seen many white ones turn to dust and dont recall any black zippers doing the same thing. I recommend black zippers even on white canvas.

JASS

How do you get that across your customers - most of mine want white with white.

JuneC

V92 bonded polyester should last 3 to 4 years.  I get at least 3 from the stuff I've sewn, but I'm in SE Florida and the summer sun is absolutely brutal.  Only thing to go in 6 months must have been nylon.  I wouldn't use even bonded nylon - it just won't last in the sun. 

As for the zips, I've seen black ones turn white and break up, but only after many years.  The zip pulls go before that happens as a rule.  I use white zips on white canvas but have made a habit of making all canvas, dark or light, with flaps that cover the zips.  I don't like to see them (nor velcro).  On enclosures, the panels extend to overlap each other with zips in between so you can't see them from inside nor outside. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

ive been told that zips as with canvas black is better then white cause the black  has more pigment and blocks the uv penetration..

ahkahn

Saddleman - Thanks for the shout out - I appreciate referrals!

Mike - I've always been under the impression that the white is more reflective and black more absorbing.  Totally opposite of what you've heard...  But your point makes as much sense as mine.  I'll have to get to the bottom of that.   Now you've peaked my interest!

As for the tenara/PTFE thread - we've got one just about ready to hit the market which will be more reasonable than the others.   They're all pretty expensive, but we're going to be private labeling one, so instead of branding it and marking it up we'll be passing the savings right along.  It's made by the same people that make other popular brands mentioned here.

I'll keep you updated-

Take care,
Andrew

Mike8560

Quote from: ahkahn on November 17, 2010, 09:40:35 pm
Saddleman - Thanks for the shout out - I appreciate referrals!

Mike - I've always been under the impression that the white is more reflective and black more absorbing.  Totally opposite of what you've heard...  But your point makes as much sense as mine.  I'll have to get to the bottom of that.   Now you've peaked my interest!

As for the tenara/PTFE thread - we've got one just about ready to hit the market which will be more reasonable than the others.   They're all pretty expensive, but we're going to be private labeling one, so instead of branding it and marking it up we'll be passing the savings right along.  It's made by the same people that make other popular brands mentioned here.

I'll keep you updated-

Take care,
Andrew
all i know is ive seen more white bad zipers and thread  then black