Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 07:23:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New furniture by mail.

Started by gene, August 29, 2015, 04:36:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Yep. It's possible. Here's a link my son sent me about a line of furniture that is shipped to the homeowner via FedEx or UPS.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3050442/wanted/an-ex-apple-engineer-takes-on-the-furniture-industry-with-couches-you-can-fedex?partner=rss

The world keeps changing before our very eyes.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

To many folks want easier to get, toss, and pay less - hopefully good craftsmanship wins out.  The funny thing is people impulse buy instead of weighing the benefits of quality.
SA

Darren Henry

Not a totally new concept---recliners have had removable  backs for years, and the guy who trained me always made furniture in 4 pieces (back, seat,arms) , upholstered them then assembled and trimmed. We would occasionally have to assemble on site to get the piece in the room.

My other observation is that they have only one style----ugly.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

September 01, 2015, 05:13:21 am #3 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 06:59:50 am by byhammerandhand
I saw a line of sofas a few years ago, primarily designed for installation in NYC apartments.  On their ad video, the had a six-year old assemble a sofa in a bit under 5 minutes.

Then of course, there's this, that's been around for a long time in flat-box furniture

And
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST141MKcXSg
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I swear, some of that flat box stuff only saves them about 20 cubic inches of shipping container.

And God forbid, if you had to put it all back in the box and take it back to the store for a refund. You would have to be a world champion Tetris player to figure out how they originally packed it.

I agree that this concept isn't really all that new. Customers often bring me new furniture from Ikea still un-assembled in the box (and that little toy Allen wrench to put it together with). Some have a Velcro, or zippered dust cover on the bottom so you can access the bolts.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

I got re-thinking my post. Maybe Gene meant that ordering factory direct was new.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!