Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:17:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Finding help

Started by MinUph, June 13, 2014, 04:57:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I always did my best, too.  And if there was a deadline that had to be met I stayed and finished the job.  I did my best because I knew the experience would serve me in good stead in the future and caving in and doing a crummy job because I was pissed off/resentful would only make me look small in the final analysis. 

There's a really good song by Jimmy Buffet that really sums it up for me.  It's called, "It's My Job" and it's on "Cocoanut Telegraph". 

byhammerandhand

At my last job, I had the displeasure of occasionally having to work with one of the most arrogant, immature, and despicable people I've ever had to work with.  He'd been with the company 25 years when he came in one weekend, cleaned out his personal stuff and left a note on his boss' desk, "I quit.  I won't be in Monday, or thereafter."  True character shows.

I've done work at a number of moving/delivery companies (as a contractor).  One of their major problems is getting people to regularly show up, and show up sober.  Even at the height of the recession, people would leave for no apparent reason and without any other job.  The good ones were really worth hanging on to.

Quote from: kodydog on June 19, 2014, 06:16:07 am
So they left without notice? My last employer had a fit because I only gave 60 days.

Its a matter of character.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on June 19, 2014, 11:23:19 am
At my last job, I had the displeasure of occasionally having to work with one of the most arrogant, immature, and despicable people I've ever had to work with. 
My wife had a similar co-worker at her job. She was absolute workplace cancer. To hear some of the things she said would lead you to assume that she was the most miserable excuse for a human being that ever walked the Earth. She was despised by the entire staff. And the feeling was mutual.

She expertly knew how to use HR to her advantage. So there was no technical grounds to terminate her. They just had to wait until she got tired of making the lives of everyone around her a living hell. Eventually she did, and quit on her own. As soon as she did, all tension and turmoil immediately ceased. And it has not resurfaced in the 5 years since.

I ended up doing some upholstery work for her later on. She was the sweetest woman and customer I've ever dealt with. To hear me and my wife describe her.......you would swear we were talking about different people. And I've heard that she is very well-liked at her new job. And she is a valuable asset there too.

Employment is like a marriage. In a bad one, people behave in a way that is totally uncharacteristic of them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

This is the reason I have held off for so long and not hired a part timer. I really do not need the aggravation. We have been so slammed I also have no time to train someone. I have a great amount of patience when teaching someone but have little patience for attitudes. Actually, I will be honest. I have no patience for piss poor attitudes.

Bobbin, I went over all five of your dinner topics and I have to say girl, you are spot on. So much so that I may just start a campaign and run you for President in 2016.

We are raising a whole bunch of spoiled rotten kids these days. This trophy and ribbon thing for everyone sucks. Not to mention all the damn graduation ceremonies going on these days. This year I witnessed graduation and diploma giving for pre-school, kindergarten, grade school and junior high as well as High School. By the time they get done with high school it is just one more graduation. Some just want their diploma's and want the world to piss off as they are so burnt out from ceremonies.

In regards to motivation, I am a retired varsity football coach and I made sure weekly and season ending awards went to those who earned it. I was a tough but very fair and caring coach and I motivated our players by making them believe in themselves. Yes I had to yell sometimes and I had to punish sometimes but I ALWAYS followed that up with encouragement and telling the kid " I know you can do this " and by showing them that I believe in them. Sometimes that is all an individual needs is one person to believe in them and my players knew I had faith in them.

I wont get into the torture and severe abuse ( sometimes physical ) that I had at the hands of DI's in Marine Corp boot camp. It got out of hand when I was there and several recruits were killed during boot. They made some changes since and it is not so bad. What I went through prepared me for battle with my disease and like I tell my Oncologist " This disease is a cake walk compared to the suffering I experienced in the Marines "..............lol........

You cannot motivate everyone with being stern while also being encouraging but I have found that for the most part getting someone to believe in themselves and boosting their self esteem rather then ripping them apart works much better. I have never cared for people who trash a persons self esteem.

I should add that the Marine Corps DI's had a difficult job. They had to take 75 men from all walks of life and with all kinds of attitudes and tear them down to nothing. They then ( after having everyone at the same level of worthlessness similar to whale crap) began the task of instilling pride, motivation and alot of encouragement. After 16 weeks everyone graduated with such pride and belief in themselves that all the abuse you suffered was an after thought. You graduated 10 ft tall and bullet proof and had an immense amount of self respect and respect for others. Obviously their system works as they are still the most feared fighting force in the world. But I should add that their methods will obviously not work in civilian life. :)

Chris

Mojo

Paul:

Home economics is pretty much gone from our areas schools curriculum. Kids now days barely know what a sewing machine looks like and if it isn't computer operated could care less. :(

I think you would be an awesome instructor at a community college. You should approach Hernando CC about starting an upholstery curriculum. I am serious. You love teaching people and have alot of skill sets from numerous areas in our industry to pass down.

I taught a class one year at a community college and enjoyed it ( non upholstery related ). It paid VERY good money too.

Chris

bobbin

I agree with the belief that Paul would make a great instructor. 

I have followed several of your tips, Paul, and after fumbling a bit found my stride and was able to get through the project (most notably tying buttons on a project that had a LOT of them..76!  Actually, I've learned tons for all of the regulars on this forum.

MinUph

I've kicked around the idea of teaching. But will be buying the shop the first of the year so I doubt there will be time. I have even placed an ad about teaching this out of my home. I got one interested party and told her if there is more interest I would contact her. Didn't hear any more. Never tried a real school though.
  I do enjoy teaching people but it ain't in the cards right now.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on June 25, 2014, 04:15:21 pm
I do enjoy teaching people but it ain't in the cards right now.
Too bad. I can tell by reading your posts that you would be very good at it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Thanks,
  Thats a nice compliment to get from you all.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Well peoples,

I followed the idea of teaching and contacted the local community college about it. Time will tell what they say and think. I figure I have 6 months before I make a major commitment to buy this business and would like to see if there are any other options out there. This one (teaching)  has been in my mind for several years.so what the H@ll.

At my age buying a business is a bit scary but I am excited about it nonetheless. Still gotta make a living.

I really think it is a shame that trades are no longer taught in schools. Not everyone is college bound and we all still need trades people. It's an honest living and better than the other jobs around. Flipping burgers, ringing registers etc.etc. Nothing wrong with them either but where is the self satisfaction in those jobs.

Anyway thanks for the push and I will keep you informed of the outcome of my letter to the CC.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

That's fantastic Paul. Options are good, always keep them open.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

papasage

i am  now having trouble finding  work  . no one wants to recover furniture  they just buy the cheep stuff and  replace when it has  come apart .
just recovering 40 years

Mojo

Best of luck Paul. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. If you need a reference feel free to use me.

I would love to see HCC add this class. Alot of it will depend on if they can fill the class not to mention space and equipment needs. I think it would be awesome though if they added this subject and brought you in as a teacher. :)

Keep us posted.

Chris