Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:08:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need a slow sewing machine

Started by rlamoreaux, December 17, 2013, 03:03:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rlamoreaux

I have Parkinsons and I can not control the material if it's sewing too fast. I bought a Tuffsew, now that you picked yourself off the floor from laughing, I was able to modify the foot control to limit the top end speed. This Tuffsew is not bad but you have to be a mechanical engineer to keep repairing it. I found parts available from Sailrite. My question is I want a better, walking foot machine but as I stated before I need it to sew slow. I mainly do boat seats and snap in carpets. Never leather. Price is also a factor. Any recommendations? Thanks

Tejas

For sewing slow, you might want to consider a servo-motor for whatever sewing machine replacement on which you decide. Here is a link to a video that depicts the control possible with a servo-motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-QjJgJKKVM
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Mojo

I started out on a Tuffsew and you are right, it takes alot of patience to work with one. Sew for 1 hour and work on the machine for 15 minutes then back to sewing again. I will say one thing about that Tuffsew, I learned a great deal about sewing machines by using it. Main reason why is because I was always repairing the damn thing. :)

If you have a tight budget then I would recommend a Chandler or Highlead. If money is no object then the Juki is an awesome machine. Make sure when you buy a new machine you order one with a servo motor and NOT a clutch motor. The servos can be dialed down and stitch real slow. The clutch motor will frustrate the hell out of you, especially coming from a Tuffsew.

One last very big piece of advice. Do NOT buy any machine off e-bay. The vast majority are drop shipped and will need to be tuned and adjusted. Buy from a reputable dealer in your area or consider buying from Bob Kovar from Toledo Sewing Machine who is a sponsor of this site. I have bought two new machines from Bob and both have been amazing performers.

Chris

Tejas

Another reputable dealer and who might be in your area is Gregg at keysew.com
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

papasage

change the pulley on the  motor  to a smaller pulley .yep a servo helps  . i have  one  but still like the  clutch motor .but i have 2 machines   PFAFF .
just recovering 40 years

bobbin

Ditto on changing out the pulley to a smaller one.

And buy a servo motor.  They are just fabulous and being able to control the speed of the motor comes in very handy when you need it. 

Do you use a needle guard on your machine?  I have them on both my new single needles and on my old 31-15.  I need to purchase one for my Nakajima.  A lot of stitchers scoff at them, complain that they "get in the way", but if you have Parkinson's adding one to your machine (if you buy used and it doesn't have one) would be pretty cheap insurance for your safety. 

Mojo

I owned a machine like he has and to be honest, the reason why I never mentioned changing the flywheel pulley is because this machine is not worth spending money on. As he stated in his first post it constantly needs to be adjusted and worked on.

Knowing his medical limitations he is much better off buying a good quality used machine or possibly a new one with a servo. Putting money into the Tuffsew is throwing good money after bad. My Tuffsew is sitting in my shed rusting away because it isn't even worth the headache of cleaning it up and selling it. I also would not wish that machine on my worst enemy.

I do not think there are pulleys available for these machines with the exception of the standard size. He would be better off selling it for whatever he can get out of it and putting his money towards a used Juki or a new Chandler or Highlead.

Seriously folks, these Tuffsews are real miserable SOB's. Sew for an hour.......work on it for 15 minutes....sew for another hour.....readjust and work on it some more....etc.......etc. I still have nightmares over mine. :)

Chris

forsailbyowner

Nobody seems to have mentioned it but there are also speed reducers which are belt driven speed reduction mechanisms. I think most harness and saddlework machines come with these preinstalled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEWING-MACHINE-SPEED-REDUCER-PULLY-WITH-2-6-PULLEY/300720909352?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D19461%26meid%3D3655801680514578719%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8798%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D111240566143%26

rlamoreaux

I went to a local industrial sewing machine repair shop, here in Las Vegas, and talked to them about my needs and wants. I ended up buying a refurbished JUKI, I think the model is a 538. I had him install a servo motor. They are going to show me how to maintain and use this machine. They also carry all the parts and accessories I might need, like extra bobbins, specialty feet, oil etc. Now I just have to figure out how much my labor is worth when I give an quote on a job. I already have 2 people who want me to look at their boats. In Nevada the sun will eat a boats interior if its not covered, so there is always a source of boats that need work. Wish me luck in my new undertaking.   

Bob T

I have the Juki 563 with the servo and with the speed reducer.  It is absolutely fantastic!  in 12 years, I've never had to time or adjust it and it sews perfectly, just remember to hold both threads when making the first few stitches of a row.  I use it for thread from size 69 to 277.  When doing boat covers and awnings I typically use size 207 UV thread because it holds up very well to our high intensity sun here in Texas.  I've found the 563 makes tough work easy!