Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 11:30:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Calling All Furniture People

Started by Mojo, June 18, 2013, 06:17:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Hi Gang:

Just wondering if ya'll could look at this chair and tell me how the back is attached.
I have an idea but am not quite sure and wanted to check with you experts.

Here is the chair:  http://s181.photobucket.com/user/throgmartin/media/CoachChair_zps7638a632.jpg.html

Thanks everyone,

Chris

sofadoc

Either the fabric is stapled into a groove, then the welt cord is glued over it.

OR

The inside back is a separate board that is shot on with finishing nails (right through the front of the fabric).

OR

The inside back panel is attached from the rear with screws and dowel plugs.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

If you don't see any plugs on the outside back that hide the screws take a screw driver and gently pry between the welt and wood. May even want to use something to protect the wood. See if you can pry loose the panel held tight with finish nails.

If that doesn't work it is probably Sofas first suggestion. See if you can pull the welt cord out with a pair of pliers and you will see the staples inside a grove. These staples are hard to get out but not impossible. Good luck Mojo.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Thanks guys. I passed the info on to a customer who wanted to give it a try of re-doing this chair. But it will help me as well because I need to redo my own soon.

Thanks again. I kind of figured they would hide the screws under the welt but wasn't completely sure so wanted to check with you experts.

Chris

papasage

what sofadock said. just did a set like that . took the cane out  put a fabric in  the back  facing the back  aded a 1 in foam and put another pice over the foam and stapled it in the groove  added a double welt to cover the edge insted of a single. the spline was to much trouble to take out
just recovering 40 years