Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:29:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help Identifying Tool and supplies

Started by choto, May 16, 2013, 07:44:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

choto

Hi everyone,

I'm a upholstery newbie, and long time admirer of a lot of the great work here!

I recently picked up the sewing bug and decided to pick up an old Consew walking foot machine off craigslist. The gentleman selling it also gave me a bunch of supplies/tools from his former upholstery shop many of which I need help identifying to see if it's something I could use.

This is the first item, I'm guessing it's a stapler of sorts? Unsure how it's used though

The second this is this roll of metal stuff. Any info on what this is or how it is used?

The last item is this stuff, I have a couple boxes of it, I'm guessing it's some type of decorative tape/dressing but again not any info on exactly what it is/how it's used would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Matt

sofadoc

May 16, 2013, 08:16:03 pm #1 Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:25:19 pm by sofadoc
The first item is called a Klinch-it tool.
It is used to attach coil springs to webbing on the bottom of a chair. It is a substitute for the method of hand-lacing the springs to the webbing.

Item #2 is called Curve-ease, or Pli-grip. It is used to finish off the outsides of a piece of furniture, especially around curved edges. You staple it along the welt cord, and fold the fabric around the pronged edged, and hammer it down. It replaces the old-time method of 'blind sewing'.

The 3rd pic is Gimp. It is used as a trim. Usually applied with hot glue. Sometimes nailheads over gimp.

Welcome to the forum, Matt. How's that Consew?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

choto

Thanks for the reply sofadoc. I will have to find a good excuse to start a project where I can try out the Klinch-it tool!

The Consew is great so far, it's my first industrial machine so still getting used to the clutch motor. It is the 206rb-2 machine.

I've only done one upholstery project that I just jumped into without really knowing what I was doing and at the time only had a singer home machine, so I'm excited about taking on some more ambitious projects with this new machine.

papasage

nice  machine  it is the same as a singer all parts will work  in it .the clinch it tool is a  good  tool  to fasten coil springs to webbing  . i did use one  years ago when i worked in another shop but never had one  my self . i use  hogrings  for that porpos  they are  cheaper and a multi use tool that every shop has .the  pligrip  also known as curve ease  is a must in ant shop .
just recovering 40 years

MinUph

Curve ease has 3 prongs, Ply grip has 2. Or maybe vise versa.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

My understanding is:

Curve Ease is a brand name. It has 3 prongs and comes in 3 different weights, or thicknesses, of metal.

Most sellers use whatever name they want: curve ease, ply grip, flexi grip, flex grip, curve grip, magic metal, etc. And they sell from any of a variety of manufactures.

The important thing to look for is how many prongs you want (2 or 3) and what weight of metal you want.

I think most furniture upholsters buy the 3 prongs and the lightest or middle weight metal.

Yes?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

The brand name 'Pli-grip' came from the W.W. Cross company, makers of Cross tacks. The company is now defunct.
Here is an excerpt from another website:

Beware of Imitators.
Long ago there were many well-known tack factories across the United States.  Over the past several decades we  have watched them all, one by one, close their doors.  Looking on the World Wide Web you would not know this.  Atlas Tack Company formerly of Fairhaven, MA stopped producing cut tacks and nails in the 1960s.  W.W. Cross Company, formerly of Jaffrey, NH stopped production in 1993.  Holland Manufacturing formerly of Baltimore, MD closed in approximately 2002.  If you are purchasing tacks from these companies they are either really old or imported tacks repacked and passed off as domestic.  D. B. Gurney Company is the only remaining cut tack and nail manufacturer in the United States still producing products for a variety of specialty trades such as Upholstery, Shoe Repair, Canoe Builders, Basketry, etc. 

'Curve-ease' and 'Flex-grip' are brand names of Massosoit Tackband company. Both come in 2 or 3 tooth. And they both come in different weights.
Many suppliers refer to Curve-ease as Pli-grip. Kinda like in the south, where every soda is a 'Coke'. ;)

byhammerandhand

Interesting.   I've made several hundred Shaker oval boxes and taught a few classes in making them.   There is a guy in Michigan who bought the machine(s) that make the copper tacks for these from W W Cross.   I always assumed they just wanted out of that business, but now I know they are just out of business.

I have half a box of Genuine WW Cross upholstery tacks.   Collectors item for sale to the highest bidder. ;)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

May 19, 2013, 04:40:42 pm #8 Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:33:39 pm by sofadoc
As a kid, I did some simple upholstery jobs at my grandparents upholstery shop. This was before the days when we had any electric or air staple guns. So we spit tacks.

My grandmother hired a professional upholsterer. He was watching me work one day. He became amused because I would spread some #10 Cross tacks on the table, pick them up one at a time, and place them on the end of my tack hammer.

He said "You know, you can put the tacks in your mouth and maneuver them to the front of your lips to attach to the tack hammer. It's much faster that way. After all, that's why they're sterilized."

He showed me how to do it. I laughed, and then informed him that my grandfather routinely spit the excess tacks back into the box when he finished a job.  :P  

BTW: Correction, the WW. Cross company does still exist. They just don't make tacks or Pli-grip anymore (although those products may be marketed by someone else under the Cross brand name).
http://www.wwcross.com/aboutus.html