Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 02:05:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thinking of buying a new saw.

Started by SHHR, November 05, 2011, 07:57:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

I've been thinking for sometime now of picking up a new tool for the shop. I've seen an infomercial awhile back and usually I pay them no attention, but I have noticed these saws turning up in regular hardware and home improvement stores along with catalogs I receive under different manufacturers now. They resemble a small 5" electric angle grinder, but have two circular saw type blades that rotate in opposite directions. in ads they appear to cut anything accurately and quickly. I already have a well stocked arsenal of cutting tools for wood, steel, aluminum both electric and air powered. Does anyone have experience with these saws? If so, whats your opinion of them? I know ads and commercials tend to elevate the ability to perform of what they're selling by quite a bit. I hate to purchase something that I already have equipment to do the job with in the shop, but hey, does anyone need a reason to buy a new tool ever?  ;)
Kyle

byhammerandhand

November 05, 2011, 03:18:29 pm #1 Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 03:40:21 pm by byhammerandhand
I looked at these once.   I decided they didn't really have a good way to guide the saw with a "reference surface," so they were essentially "free hand" saws.  No depth stop, no fence, no base plate to ensure square cuts.

And if as it appears to be 1.25" depth of cut, you can't even cut all the way through a 2x4.

Please to see our excellent cutting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6GPXIE8x3A
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

When I first read SHHR's post I thought whats the point. Sounds like he has plenty of saws already. Then I watched the video Hammer linked and can see how it does very intricate work on thin pieces of material. They make it look like one type blade cuts through metal or wood. Is this true? They make it look like a cool tool but that is the job of advertising. I say 1-1/2 thumbs up.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Kyle:

I have that saw on my Christmas list. :)

Harbor Freight just had them on sale for $ 79.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCUWKy_28E

Handy tool for around the house. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteI decided they didn't really have a good way to guide the saw with a "reference surface," so they were essentially "free hand" saws.  No depth stop, no fence, no base plate to ensure square cuts.

I have to second Keith's concerns. Watching that first video I was waiting for Jason and his goalie mask to show up during the intro.

Higher on my list would be one of those oscillating saws. They look like a detail sander with a blade stuck out the front which waggles back and for rather than rotating 360º. I've borrowed one to repair sofa frames etc.. a couple of times and they are SWEET. Zero clearance, quick,compact.If metal cutting blades where available for cutting the box staples they slap this ----stuff ---together with today I'd mortgage the dog and buy one of very own.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BigJohn

November 06, 2011, 11:20:16 am #5 Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:50:41 pm by BigJohn
Darren:
    That saw will be on sale at Harbor Freights  3 day Black Friday sale for $17.99 with a coupon, I'm thinking of getting a second one for the cottage!

byhammerandhand

I won a gift certificate at the corner hardware store a couple of years ago.   After spending most of it for things around the house, my splurge item was a Sawzall.  I've used it a couple of times and I'm looking forward to a project where I can cut some dovetails with it.  ;D

Back when I was 20, the mechanic at the construction company where I had a summer job took a liking to me.   He pulled me aside one day and told me, "Don't ever buy cheap tools.   They don't work right and you'll just have to replace them with something better."    I can probably count on one hand the times I've disregarded that advice and have almost universally regretted it.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison