Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 12:53:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The use of imported THREAD

Started by MATTHEW, May 07, 2012, 12:27:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MATTHEW

US CUSTOMS requires that a product made with imported thread be labeled,with the country of origin of the thread.
I read here that SolarFIX thread was  made in CANADA, WRONG made in CHINA.

SOLAR THREADII is made in AUSTRIA

Do you want to say my awning or boat cover has thread from CHINA?
If you check both PTFE thread they have about the same price. Why buy from CHINA?

DBR1957

May 07, 2012, 03:58:19 pm #1 Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:00:01 pm by DBR1957
Are you shipping a product to the US or out of the US?

Fill us in a little more why you're concerned with this.

If you've made a product and it's not leaving the US does this even apply?

kodydog

It would be nice to be able to tell your customers that all the supplies you use to make your product is made in the USA. But that is getting harder and harder to do. If you can, it may be a good advertising ploy.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

ahkahn

You can't trust much from China.  It's like the wild west of the business world.

-Andrew

Eaglewis

Quote from: ahkahn on May 07, 2012, 06:09:16 pm
You can't trust much from China.  It's like the wild west of the business world.

-Andrew

I heard from a furniture refinishing friend, who's wife works in interior decorating, that she(his wife) knows of at least 2 companies that have moved their production back to the States, because quality control in China is, to put it bluntly, crap. This its not only for fabric, but most things that come from there. It may be that the wages are so low that the workers don't care, I don't know and am not one to speculate, so I will end it there. It was good to hear that some manufacturing is actually moving back to the good ole U.S.A.

Wade

kodydog

I read an interesting article last year. Most of the wood China uses to build furniture comes from the USA. I guess they don't have good furniture building wood. With the cost of fuel going ever higher, By the time furniture companies here, ship the wood there, then ship the furniture back, the money they save is slowly decreasing. Do a job search in NC and see all the manufacturing employment for upholsterers.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Peppy

May 08, 2012, 03:26:19 am #6 Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:32:11 am by Peppy
 Kody, from what I heard from hanging out in northern BC (where logging is THE industry) Lumber gets put on a giant factory ship. On its way to china they make it into furniture. Then they turn the ship around once it gets there and bring back finished furniture here. Something about needing to dock in China for it to be Chinese or something. If its true I imagine this is more the solid wood furniture than upholstered stuff.

But I think you're right about their dwindling profits. A furniture factory nearby that closed several years ago was just recently bought by the Chinese. They plan on making it staffed by locals and managed by Chinese. Maybe they figure the locals have  been out of work so long they're willing to work for ¢50 a day.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

I have never heard of Solar Thread before. First I have heard of this brand. I also never knew Solarfix was manufactured in China.

Interesting.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

With some of the new laws and rules that were employed, anything comming in via ocean freight must be accuratly stated on he waybill as to the county of manufacture.  I forget the details, but this was done as part of the homeland security measures in place years ago.  Again, I'm not specifially clear on the details.

Mojo

Matthew. After doing some checking with Miami Mike he has indicated none of his customers have had a failure with Solarfix. He is selling 15 lbs a week including the harsh climate of Florida. I have been using Solarfix and have never had a failure ever.

I believe ( correct me if I am wrong ) that your a vendor for Solarthread. If so then I find it in poor taste that a competing  vendor would come on here and bash another's product line. If you look at our vendors on this forum - Bob Kovar, Greg, Andrew, Miami Mike, never have I read them bashing each other or the product lines they carry. They play nice with each other on this forum.

Sorry but I found your post in poor taste as did others who are directly tied to Solarfix ( MiamiMike and Michael ). I can say that both companies have gone way beyond the mark in supporting me with my own product line and I find them extremely professional, honest and hardworking for their customers.

Chris

ahkahn

Yeah, Mojo, it's in poor taste to bash a competitors products or practices...  Plus, overall, we all mostly carry the same product lines. 

As for the SolarFix thread, I spoke with the manufacturer and it is NOT made in China, never has been.  It is made in Taiwan, which has much stricter quality standards, and a much better product reputation.

I hope this helps!

-Andrew

Mojo

Thank you Andrew. You, Miami Mike, Bob and Greg all carry yourselves as professionals here and us stitcher's expect nothing less.

We are a tight knit group on here all supporting one another and getting help and offering it whenever we can. I just felt posts like this are uncalled for. Solarfix, MiamiMike nor yourself deserve that kind of bashing. All of you work hard in supporting us and we appreciate it. I bust my ass promoting my products which includes Solarfix and I do not appreciate my product getting bashed because of the thread I use.

It is my understanding that this conversation / topic is a carry over from another forum. It was not well received there either. :)

Chris

scottymc

Quote from: ahkahn on May 07, 2012, 06:09:16 pm

-Andrew

That's a common line but not true, I'm making surfboard covers and all the big name covers made in China/Taiwan/Thailand are of very high quality as much as I would like to talk them down the standard of sewing is A1.
A mate travels to Taiwan alot for Quiksilver, he reckons that it is the company ordering the product from the Chinese that is the problem, they ask for it to be made as cheaply as possible so they can sell more product at a cheaper price and the person that buys there stuff will come back and buy another cause it's half the price of the good quality one. How many times have I heard on this forum of someone buying cheap tools,cause they do the job and then just buy another one when it wears out prematurely. Your all happy with your asian made knock off brand sewing machines? Stop hanging it on China, they will make whatever you order from them.
On the subject of Chinese buy factory's in western country's, it's happening in Australia too, in 20 years time it is very likely that you will be getting your sewing machines from Australia, cause this is where the iron ore is.     

Grebo

Me thinks One post Matthew was bored & had nothing better to do.

:P

Suzi

bobbin

"One post wonders" never impress me too much.  Regardless of the "agenda".