Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 24, 2024, 09:20:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need Some How-To Advice

Started by jojo, July 01, 2012, 09:33:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,
I'm trying to duplicate these panels (minus the wrinkles, of course). Never done this type of thing before. Here is the outside view of the mesh.

Here's the inside:

and the view under the zipper:

So how do I start? Cut out the shape in the canvas first, or sew down the mesh first and then cut out the canvas?
Also, you can't really tell from these pics, but it just looks messy all over...too many stitch lines on top of each other, ugly raw edges on the inside, weird small metal zippers.
It looks like they cut out the mesh shape, then bound the edge then sewed it down on the outside. It seems so convoluted. Is there an easier way, and if so, does anyone have some photo examples I can copy from?

Thanks so much!

bobbin

Are  you starting from those pcs. or will you have chance to pattern the boat yourself? (the best solution). 

I'd be nervous that the pcs. fit and that the owner was happy with the way they fit!  We never duplicate anything in the shop where I work.  Nor did we ever do that in the first shop I worked for!!

jojo

Yeah, unfortunately, I have to copy the pieces. No access to the boat.  :(
The owners say that it fits fine as is.
However, lesson learned; I won't take another job like this again!

sofadoc

So what happens if you make the new one from the old pattern, and it comes up a smidge short of fitting? Is the customer going to pay for all the wasted time making adjustments?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

If you can, staple the pcs out on the floor.  I'd pay good attention to the zipper connection of the side/aft panels to the bimini!  As I see it, you have no other option.  The panels have to fit to the top, the rest of the mess doesn't matter if those connections don't work. 

I hate "floor work" but sometimes it's the best option!  If you're going to err, make sure you do it on the "too big" side.  Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Mike

I agree with. O. In its got to fit so theblength is importsnt and it being canvas may have shrunk.  Thebone thing that true is the siller length. Dont just measure it snd cut be sure you have the same number teeth count the teeth or sip on a new one to the old to ge the length  ive made the mistske intue last of just measure snd it had been shrunk on thebold panel and i was 1.2" or so to short of the top zipper

jojo

I should have clarified: I will have access to the boat to install the snaps, and I plan on leaving the bottoms of all the pieces long. Also, I did do the bimini, so I have the correct zipper lengths.
My problem is getting the screen thing right. I just tried to bind the mesh, and it didn't work out - wavy edges.
And then there's the cut out thing.