Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 06:27:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

silverton 351

Started by fragged8, September 07, 2010, 03:57:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

Go June! Nice dwg! I've been thinking about this and attempted posting, but my monitor died this week so I'm trapped on an itouch. Not the right tool for posting pics or lots a words.

I like junes idea. I'm all for the 'shwang out' tops. i'd run the tention bars verticaly from the deck if I could. I'm not sure what you'd gain with the 'sky hook' unless he's got downriggers or some such. Making it an enclosure seems tough without a 'back curtain' coming down from a fly bridge enclosure. Some where on my PB theres a pic of a blue top like I'm talking about. Also theres a green bimini for a carver I made resently where a bar was supported verticaly then another bar 'shwung' out off it parralell to the deck. June you were talking about that? That would leave a gap from the vertical bar to the sliding doors that you could fill with a zipper to allow acsess up the steps.

The problem with shwang outs is making enoigh run off and making a span to big without support. And getting the tention bar near the bend. We had a bimini with bars 1/2 way out the leg fold in high winds. Oops! We slid a 1/2" steel bar inside the bar as reinforcement when we repaired it.

Whew! Only took 20 mins to type that mess! Sorry bout the typos!   
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

So sorry about your mom peppy. I've lost bolth my parents my mom first 20 years ago and my dad going in 2 now.

JuneC

Mike, monitor, not Mom...  his display.  He's on his iPhone only I guess.  Anyhoo, whatcha mean by "shwang", Peppy?  And "sky hook"?  If you mean, hanging the bow versus supporting from below, I think it's better hung than supported because of docking/throwing lines.  The hanging supports are less in the way, IMHO.  But, realistically, it could go either way. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Poops June I was reading on my I phone and my eyes are vetting older.

Peppy

Thanks for your concern, but it was indeed my screen and not my mother that passed! She's fine. I'm on an ipod touch, the bare bones iphone.

Sorry, I call all framework that comes out horizontally 'shwung' out. This is mostly so when I'm bending it I remember to crown it perpendicular to the legs. And yes skyhook refers to supported from above. And yes no difference really in fab just cutting the main top around the fittings I guess. Still I'd rather pull down with the bars than push out. Preference I guess. I know what your saying about the lines though. Would you use split rail fittings on the bar? I've bent some with the fittings on the bar before it's bent but I've forgotten more fittings than remembered. 
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

fragged8

hiya

hehehhehe i had such a laugh at the misunderstanding  :o thanks for that  ;D

And thank you for the picture June it is very helpful, Least now i can get an estimate together.

I'm a bit daunted thinking i might have to bend a frame that big but hey
'He who dares wins' :-)

on the Moonraker there are adjusting sections just around the bend near the fixing
points which i thought was a good idea, I'm also thinking of how i can section the
frame using those fancy tube joints. At least that way it would be easier to store
if he ever removed it.

Mom hehe so funny..

has it really been 2 years Mike ??? doesn't time fly eeek