Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 03:58:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

silverton 351

Started by fragged8, September 07, 2010, 03:57:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hi

would anyone have any pics of a Silverton 351 ?
i've just been asked to quote for a Bimini and flybridge cover.

the customer says his is the only one of its kind in the UK ?  they all like to think that don't they heheh.

Rich

SHHR

Hey Rich I don't have a picture, but hey with a boat that rare you'll have to explain to your customer that you need to upcharge at least 2-3 time your normal rate! :D
Kyle

Jim101

Here's a few pictures I came across on the internet:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Silverton%20351&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Nice boat!

fragged8

hi

I hear ya Kyle heheh  , i intend to hammer the estimate anyway as i'm not sure
i want the job.

thanks for the link Jim i'll let you know how i get on.

Rich

Mike8560

I did a enclosure on one this summer Rich but didnt take any pix. run your numbers by me if you want.

fragged8

hiya

was it a rear deck enclosure ?

the owner has thrown me a curve ball, he doesnt want a bridge enclosure just a frame and bimini
and a flybridge cover which is going to be a bitch with all those strange angles ..

I was thinking I would make the bimini frame just about the same as factory ones with 2 frames,
one 2 bow and one 3 bow

He has asked me to also quote for a rear deck enclosure but i can't see how you can attach it
over the doors and full width of the back etc without water running back into the flybridge ?
and there needs to be a cut out to get up the steps which would never be sealed from the
weather without a bridge enclosure.

Mike8560

Sorry the silverton I did wasbigger with the duel sidewAlks
and I didn't do the cockpit. The stairwAY is. Pia. Is there headroom for a top to come back from above the sliders? And then. Bimini frame would be inthe way of the stairs.
I'd try to do a frame like peppey like to do comming off the handrail
mYbe atthe stair side. With a cutout to Acrss the stairs. 

fragged8

Hi Bud

I'm thinking along the same lines Mike, i did look at mounting on the fly rails
but i'm not sure it will work. I have a frame tool i use to measure up a frame
with only 2 measurements but it didn't look right.

I'm worried that mounting above the sliders isn't high enough
and any water mat either pool or run backwards.

It's a really awkward shape boat to do.

You're right about the cut out on the stairs, it's the only way it can be done.

I told the customer i'll have to meet him at his boat coz it could be a hit or miss
cover and he needs to see the problems for himself.
rich

Mike8560

More  costly but this is probly a better jib for a aft hardtop then a Bimini.

Rich do you guys have welding shops that do that type of work towers hardtops arches and t tops?

JuneC

I had the opposite problem about 5 years ago - a full enclosure for the bridge with none for the cockpit and that silly stairwell/gangway to contend with.  Anyhoo, how about this...

A horseshoe shaped bow attached on either side of the doorway, maybe 8-10 inches above the latch, with trailer molding (track) above the door.  I'd extend it about 4 feet back (maybe each leg about 5.5 feet long) so it's level with the doorway top.  This bit would be freestanding and usable without any enclosure - just a shade top, similar to a bimini.  Short legs above the main bow to make it rigid. 

Then another (optional) bow attached to the gunwale on either side where it slopes to the cockpit.  You could zipper another top to this bow, then drop to the sides of the transom and gunwale with the enclosure.  The doorway opening I think would need to be near the bottom step for head clearance, but would be a half-U from the first bow (attached to the doorway) to the 2nd bow.  Or, put a zip U on the horizontal plane of the top and snap/turnbuckle to the side of the step at that level.  Follow me?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

hiya

No we don't really have towers or t tops, arches and stuff like that are generally
done by general stainless welders which charge a fortune.

Even canvas makers here don't usually do the stainless frames ?? so i have an
edge there, especially now i have a plasma cutter and Tig welder.

June is right as usual, if June and Mike opened a shop together we'd all
be unemployed heheh

Her advise reminded me there is a Moonraker in our club with the type of top
I think she was describing..

Is this is June ?

Mike8560

That's what I aaa talking Bout when I said how peppy seems to allot of. I call it a catelever frame with a u shaped opening at the stairway. The question is though rich is if it would be tall enough if the top came back even with the top of the sliders off the bridge floor.

Looks low to me and it seems like it may not be 6' even.
Looks like maybe you step down into the cabin so the roof isn't that tall.

fragged8

hiya

thanks Mike, i think this is probably the only way to do it.

the moonraker has about 6 1/2 feet height under the hood and has enclosure sides
although he doesn't like to use them. And yes you step down through the sliders

Maybe Peppy has some advise on making this type of frame and cover ?

The biggest problem on the Silverton is mounting above the Sliders as there really isn't much room there,

Having never seen a Silverton before I saw another one on the river this week heheh
it was a 352 with the hard top on the back and the flybridge. the same as the one on
the cover of the Marine Fabricator Mag,  how strange !!

I'm sure i have a picture somewhere I took at Northcoast Marine of just a frame like this
but i'm damned if i can find it.

Rich

JuneC

That Moonraker is similar to what I was thinking - same general idea.  Though you don't need all those vertical supports around the transom like they have - just an angled support on either side that could either be up from the gunwale, or if that aft handrail on the flybridge is good and secure, you could "hang" the top frame from it with 2 supports.  Or, you could hang the frame off the arch and make the bow full-width.  I have a pic somewhere around my other computer I'll dig out for you. 

Could you remove those snaps on the aft edge of the flybridge and put in 2 pieces of trailer molding between the supports of the handrail?  That would hold the forward edge of your canvas along with some turnbuckles in spots that you can't mount track.  You could use the double-flap Keder and zip the aft edge of your flybridge cover to it if you need a way to attach both items.

June

W. C. Fields

JuneC

I drawed it fer ya  ;D

Of course you could add another bow attached somewhere on either the angled deck sides, or somewhere on the gunwale and zip an extension to the top - depending on how big you make the first top.  It might not be needed. 

W. C. Fields