Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 11:47:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What is your target demo?

Started by sofadoc, November 10, 2011, 03:05:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

For me, it's women over 40.
Men only care about upholstery as it applies to their car, boat, or deer blind.
Women under 40 certainly love to reupholster, but they have to clip coupons and pinch pennies while their husbands fritter away the family budget on their car, boat or deer blind.
The over 40 woman has reached the stature in life where she now has her own disposable income.
Either she has upgraded to a new husband with a thicker wallet, or she has carved out a career of her own. The kids are grown, so the money doesn't end up at Disney World, or Toys R Us. The over 40 husband now just wants to make her happy.
The over 40 woman probably represents 60% of my client base.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on November 10, 2011, 03:05:43 pm
The over 40 woman probably represents 60% of my client base.

I think most furniture upholsterers would agree.

I was talking to a decorator today. Shes in her 30's with two kids. she buys her furniture at Rooms To Go knowing it will only last 4 or 5 years. She doesn't see any sense in buying good furniture with kids in the house. And this way she gets to redecorate more often. She bought higher quality for her bedroom and will buy better furniture when the kids get older or move out.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

I've only done work for a few women in the 6 years I've been doing this.  Even the patio furniture I've done has been for the man of the house.  But, as you guys have discovered, the marine canvas and upholstery business is dominated by the male of the species when it comes to deciding where that money gets spent.  A mix of ages but mostly 45+ since the young ones are more inclined to either replace with a new boat, or something off eBay, or they haven't made enough $$ yet to buy a yacht that requires custom work.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

I have to say that the over 40 crowd is my target demographic, too.  They seem to have hit a comfortable place in their lives and have some discretionary money to spread around. 

Kody, I had to laugh at the comment about the designer and two kids.  I grew up in house full of antiques.  I was taught to be respectful of beautiful furniture and not treat it as a jungle gym.  Horseplay and roughhousing were for outdoors, not the living room.  If I can train our dog to stay off the furniture surely she could train the kids.  One of the nicest things about antique furniture and "family pieces" is seeing them in my own home now.  I smile at the memories of youthful tea parties on the comb back sofa (c.1840) or the sight of pieces in the background of birthday party/holiday pictures.  Yup! I like the old stuff and giving it a new lease on life is one of my favorite things to do. 

Mike8560

Ine is primarily the over 40 and mostly retire male  when I'm called out to a boat it alwas the man who talks to me while the wife hides out in the house  then I'll get somtimes well let me ask the wife and I think to myself well let's get here out here. When I was in NH it was slot of younger couples and thebhusvsnd and wife in all cases showed up on the boat to show me.  I have gotten a few calls cro. Wemo. And then I figure I'm golden as she has already decided to have the work done.

stitcher_guy

Anyone who has mone!!!!!!

lol. It's flippant, but pretty much true. No sooner do I decide that retired guys wanting to relive their youth through restoring a hot rod are my market, and I get a 20-something who has been pinching his pennies and saving up for a radical interior in his Mitsu Eclipse. Boat people range from the old guys out for a nice fishing trawler, to young families who would rather dump money into the big hole in the water instead of building a family street machine. EVERYBODY who owns a truck has to slide down off the seat and needs the bolsters replaced. Anyone who drives a work car a few years old has to deal with the headliner dropping. There is no specific demographic for doing general upholstery.

sofadoc

Quote from: stitcher_guy on December 28, 2011, 07:24:10 pm
There is no specific demographic for doing general upholstery.
Not just talking about age. Also gender. Convincing a 20-something man to get his couch recovered is about like talking a 50-something woman into pimping her ride.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Over 50, retired males. Like June I am always dealing with the men. Every now and then I will have a woman call me who is getting info for her husband.

This demo for me is probably 98 % of my market segment. Rarely do I ever get anyone under 50.
Not to many younger guys driving around in $ 500 K buses. :)

Chris