Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 04:11:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Permit Me To Indroduce Myself

Started by Half-Fast, July 23, 2010, 07:53:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Half-Fast

I'm the "newb" on this board, but I've been lurking for more than a month or so.  I think that I've read almost 75% of the threads posted in that time!  I'm more than eager to learn this business with the intent of eventually re-opening my dad's upholstery shop which has sat idle since he died of chemotherapy almost 3 years ago.  To say that I've learned a whole lot since I've been lurking would be an understatement.  For example, while dad's shop is fully equipped with ample inventories of almost everything needed to start rolling again, it is in need of a new sewing machine.  He had a 50 year old Singer that gave him fits....mom says that even at 70+ years old, he could invent new cuss words for that contraption!  ;D  So, instead of taking my chances with e-bay, the guys at Keystone will be getting a call from me within the next couple of days!  I may spend some money to get the Singer back in shape to use as a back-up machine, or it'll be a museum piece.

I'm a USAF vet, 9 years flying on KC-135 tankers as a "boom operator" doing inflight refueling (I layed on my stomach in the tail end of an airplane and passed gas  :D).  I've owned and sold two successful businesses.....I spent 9 years as a dry cleaner, and most recently 8 years as an independant contractor for FedEx Ground/Home Delivery, eventually owning 4 routes. 

In the time since dad died, every time I went to mom's house I'd head out to dad's shop with a bourbon and my pipe just to sit and think, maybe poke around a little.  Dad did quite a bit of business in a small town and always had somebody on the waiting list.  One of those times earlier this Spring, it dawned on me......"Why am I beating my head into a brick wall for 16-18 hours a day as employees (and rural Missouri county roads) tear up my $45,000 trucks, and everything else that went with that business?   It'd be a lot less stressful to spend those kind of hours in here!"  So I sold my routes, put some money in the bank, and have spent the last couple of months fixing up my house to sell.

I'll be getting quite a bit of hands on "OJT" as I've got more than a few pieces of furniture that my ex's cats had shredded before they left  >:(  I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community, and hopefully, I'll keep learning from everybody here!

Jeff

mike802

Welcome aboard Jeff and the best of luck to you in your latest endeavor :D One thing for sure, there are a lot of good guys and gals here to help you out.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Saddleman

Grebo

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Hello, and welcome to the board, and congrats that you stopped your lurking ways!

hdflame

Glad to have you Jeff! ;D  I bought a new Highlead from Gregg at Keystone and have been very happy with it.  Good luck on your new business.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

PDQ

Welcome aboard, Jeff.

All the best with your new venture. :tup:

Half-Fast

Thanks everybody!  

>Gregg....I'll be contacting you shortly about a new sewing machine.  Didn't mean to weird anybody out with all my lurking, but I kinda like to watch  ;)

Jeff

sofadoc

I sensed that someone was lurking! Glad you came out of the bushes. It's kinda funny to hear someone describe this type of work as "less stressful". Guess it all depends on what side of the fence you're on. Being able to lay on your stomach and pass gas is a talent that will serve you well in this business. You're already one step ahead in the game! Welcome to the forum.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Hi Jeff sorry  about your dad. I lost my dad last year.
And my mom 20 years ago lnow.

stitcher_guy

Hi Jeff. Welcome. Great way to honor your dad, keeping  his business going. My dad was alive to see me hang out my sign, but died just a couple months after I got started, and never saw my real shop (that I moved to after 6 months being open) where I"ve been for the last 9 years. I had a coffee pot all ready and was going to make some "loafer" stools for he and his buddies, but life happens.

Never lurk. Jump in with both feet and start commenting and asking questions. Sometimes the best perspective comes from someone who hasn't mucked things up trying over and over and sees the job from a brand new angle. Always glad to read what people have to say.

Half-Fast

QuoteI sensed that someone was lurking! Glad you came out of the bushes.

Thanks Doc....I never claimed to be a Rambo...I'm  glad you didn't  pop a few rounds into the weeds and catch me square in the forehead!

QuoteHi Jeff sorry  about your dad. I lost my dad last year.
And my mom 20 years ago lnow.

Mike.....My dad and I were sooo much alike (not only physical, but emotional clones) that there were times that our egos couldn't fit in the same room.  But he always wanted the best for me and tried his hardest to make sure that I saw and  learned from his.....and my mistakes.  For that, I will be forever grateful.  I feel extremely fortunate that mom is still the major piece of the "rock" that our family has wrapped our roots around.

QuoteNever lurk. Jump in with both feet and start commenting and asking questions. Sometimes the best perspective comes from someone who hasn't mucked things up trying over and over and sees the job from a brand new angle. Always glad to read what people have to say.

Stitcher_guy:  Thanks for your encouragement.  I promise that I'll maintain a constant presence on this board.....perhaps to the point of being an annoyance?!?!  ;D

Jeff

Mojo

First off, thank you for your service Jeff. I always envied you blue suits ( former Marine here ) with your country club barracks and golf courses. :) I also loved those 707's. Great planes but what you were plugging into was even more awesome. If I had it all to do over I wouldn't have allowed myself to live in a trench and be stuck in the mud like a hog. :)

I wish you the best of luck with your Dad's business. Welcome aboard flyguy.....:)

Chris

baileyuph

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the discussions, what type of upholstering did your father do and will you continue the same type?

I noticed you are in Rolla, not far from some good size water, marine might offer opportunity there, if that is of interest.

If you need someone to work on your Dad's older machine, there is an industril company in St.Louis that is a second or third generation company, decent reputation.   Just look in the Yellow pages under Industrial Sewing Machines.

Wish you luck,

Doyle

Half-Fast

Thanks Chris!  Yeah, I had some real rough duty in the USAF.....having 3 commisioned officers driving me to work and all  ;D

Thanks Doyle!  One of my regular delivery customers is a sewing machine repair guy.  If he isn't up for the task, I'll be sure to search out the guys in St.Louis.  I'll most likely concentrate on furniture restorations as my dad did.  I've got enough cabinet making skills that I'm thinking of diversifying into reproduction and custom furniture as well. 

I have given thought to the marine business.  I'm an hour and a half away from the Lake of the Ozarks and I heard the guys up there are getting top dollar.  There are dozens of smaller lake communities scattered throughout these woods as well.

I have been promised quite a few truck seats by the other contractors at the FedEx terminal.  Some of us could shred a seat in three years......lots of "double rubs" in that business!  :D