Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 05:02:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A bad repair, more business for me....springs done wrong

Started by JDUpholstery, November 26, 2012, 02:10:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JDUpholstery

Customer had me look at a couch that they were sinking into....they bought it used, and it quickly began getting weaker, so today I took it apart fully expecting to be doing a spring replacement, but I think after seeing this that just putting a proper spring clip in place will do the trick

There are about 6 springs in a row that were fixed like this

they used 1-1/4 staples to hold the springs on and added a washer and screw....you guys think doing proper clips will help, or should I still do a replacement of springs

MinUph

JD,
  That is a way of doing a repair from the bottom. The spring ends are only about a 1/2" from the top rail and placing them on the top rail will not make a huge difference. It would raise the spring edge a little but if the customer doesn't have enough support the springs may have lost some of their "spring" It is also possible that the ends broke off the springs so you wont have the original ends to put in clips. Zigger springs are not all that great and the cheaper the make the lesser they last. Replacing them will be costly and time consuming. Take the seat off, remove all the springs cut new ones, cut the spring edge and fasten to the springs, and edge wire. The recover in burlap and the rest on top. If you replace them use good dark shinny black ziggers. You can get it in a roll and cut them with a bolt cutter. Personally unless your reupholstering the piece it wouldn't be worth the cost. Customers call.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JDUpholstery

I plan to put them on the edge like this, but using the proper clips...90% of the "repaired" springs have broken loose, that's what I was saying was done wrong, using staples to hold springs in place doesn't cut it. I was asking if I used proper clips if it would make a difference or is it going to be a replace job

MinUph

Putting clips in the same place as the screws isn't going to gain anything JD. Unless the springs have fallen off the screws. Agreed it is not a proper repair ubut if they are holding there is is the same as putting a clip there. Only way to gain anything is putting them back on the top of the rail where they belong. Not possible from the bottom.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JDUpholstery

most of them are not holding, a couple still are, but the staples have pulled out, it looks like they are holding but that's just an optical illusion from the picture....I can take better ones in the morning...I do have a roll of heavy spring, so if worse comes to worse I can swap some springs out, the customer was already OK with the spring replacement price, but if I can just clip these and save them some money I would

sofadoc

The spring that I've outlined in red of course mounts to the top rail. The green is a separate spring that goes to the elevated front edge of the deck. And the clips are outlined in pink.
I notice on this particular sofa that the red spring changes bend radius as it leaves the front deck area. This wider bend radius indicates a poor quality spring system.  The customer is probably experiencing a sinking because the springs have stretched out of shape. Re-cutting, and replacing all of them with good  9 gauge No-sags might be out of the customer's budget range.
And you'll have to have the small clips (pink) to re-attach the red and green springs together.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JDUpholstery

lol, furniture fix...the customer could have saved 170 bucks!

I repaired the bad spring attachments, but it did not do the trick, so I added new springs and all is right with the couch now...called and let customer know and they love this couch so were willing to pay for the springs...I also extended the legs 1.5 inches to make it easier for them to get up off it...getting older and they asked for the extra hieght

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

JD,

In review (I looked at your photos), the sofa springs had been worked on before and reviewing your pictures (I guess one can go by photos), what does your knowledge and what you saw suggest went wrong in the first place with the sofa. 

How much arc was in the installed springs and also in the ones you installed?  Like I said about pictures, but I couldn't discern any or much arc.  Is that true, the original arc?  Springs like that need arc, otherwise they are not functional as they should be and will tear away and/or break.

Congratulations on getting things back in order.

Doyle