Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 10:57:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Favorite Vehicle

Started by SteveA, August 26, 2014, 10:19:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I drive a jeep and use it for smaller pick ups and deliveries.  I have a ford van 250 and it's great for the big stuff but two vehicles are too expensive lately. I want to reduce down to one vehicle.   Please some recommendations and advice.  Tahoe - Caravan ?  All wheel or 4 wheel is important here in NY -

Thanks,
SA

byhammerandhand

What type of things (size wise) do you regularly haul?   That would make a big difference if you're hauling window treatments or restaurant booths.

I started off with an E150 cargo van and it was nice.   I could get a dining table and 8 chairs in it, even with racks on both sides.  Then I downsized to an Odyssey with the back seats removed/stowed.    It has an 8' bed, just.   The nice thing is less insurance and 34 mpg on the highway, average 23 mixed driving.  The E150 got low teens.

A friend of mine is a custom furniture maker and uses a cargo trailer behind his SUV to deliver goods.   You don't pay the gas penalty when you're not using it.

One of my moving company customers has a Sprinter.   Lots of room, great mileage, but expensive and I've never seen one more than a year old that didn't have rust spots all over it.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

August 26, 2014, 03:21:09 pm #2 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:22:00 pm by kodydog
When I first started my business I owned a Chevy LUV 4WD. I quickly found it was too small. So I traded it for a Ford E150 V-8. Great work van with plenty of towing power. I drove it till I wore out the engine.

I owned a Dodge Caravan for about 8 years. A 7' sofa would fit nicely in the back and if I had to pick up more than that I would pull my 8' cargo trailer.

I now own a 2003 E150 V-6. Its a bit sluggish but gets me where I'm going. It gets about 17 miles/gal and will pull my pop-up camper with no problem. Plenty of cargo space but I still use the cargo trailer from time to time.

I always thought a woody would be the ultimate delivery vehicle.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

my last car was a sosge caravan with the sto n go seats they all folded under the floor, I have a truck I used when I have to deliver frames  to a boat or pick up seats out of a boat aside I drive my sebring convertible but if I only had one it bee the dodge or Chrysler van and a trailer

baileyuph

What ever will keep cost down and still support the work.  I maintain a 10 year old E150 because it is multipurpose -- hauling and provides enclosure during all weather.  Depreciation and taxes are about the lowest for the purpose. 

A trailer with some kind of cover (canvas will work) is probably the cheapest way to go but some do not like negotiating tight areas with such.

Can't win unless requiring everything is brought to you - which is possible in auto/marine work (my experience).

Vehicles cost as well as we all know. 

Doyle

Mike

Quote from: DB on September 20, 2014, 06:11:17 am
What ever will keep cost down and still support the work.  I maintain a 10 year old E150 because it is multipurpose -- hauling and provides enclosure during all weather.  Depreciation and taxes are about the lowest for the purpose. 

A trailer with some kind of cover (canvas will work) is probably the cheapest way to go but some do not like negotiating tight areas with such.

Can't win unless requiring everything is brought to you - which is possible in auto/marine work (my experience).

Doyle
lol  I keep my 97 dodge truck mainly for when I have to take sometimes large frames to a boat other times I have to removw all thwe seats from a boat at the owners house and there too old or wont