Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 07:57:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Making the news

Started by Darren Henry, May 21, 2018, 06:20:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

This too is non upholstery but a massive fire here in Brandon has made the headlines of our nation weather network (and others) and i wanted to share with my friends here ( I don't face book LOL).

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/manitoba/brandon

So Saturday I was working sales on the RV side of the business and it was "Mat tag repairman" dead. My boss went to town to do some personal business and called to let me know that down town was on fire. I followed it on the radio. There were 4 separate fires that required the assistance of fire departments for the local armed forces base and at least 4 other towns, some as far away as 50 miles.

The area involved is in the original part of town. It is the northern edge of the business section. Both Christy's Office plus and Massey Manor were/are classified as "Historic Buildings". Collyers (sp) and the boxing club were in an old frame building east of chrysty's. The beer vendor/defunked night club were on the ground floor of a 5 story hotel (also vacant) a block south and 2 blocks east of the original blaze and 1 block south of collyiers.

One of my friends/co-worker lives 1 block south and 1 block east of that fire. He called a couple of times yesterday with updates. As of 8 PM crews were still on the ground "mopping up". 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

Fully involved - probably some very old dry timbers.  You wonder why these Historic Buildings don't have smoke alarms at the very least and/or sprinklers over head.  I hate to see history erased - maybe they will rebuild.  Thankfully no injuries including the fire service personnel. 
SA

Mojo

Quote from: SteveA on May 21, 2018, 10:19:35 am
Fully involved - probably some very old dry timbers.  You wonder why these Historic Buildings don't have smoke alarms at the very least and/or sprinklers over head.  I hate to see history erased - maybe they will rebuild.  Thankfully no injuries including the fire service personnel. 
SA

I agree Steve. Every loss of a historic building is terrible. That building and all of its memories will never live again. Damn sad to see.

Mojo

Darren Henry

My thoughts exactly. There was a follow up on the history of two of the buildings involved that lead to some very interesting stories on that same community discussion board. I found it very informative.

http://www.ebrandon.ca/messagethread.aspx?message_id=1012639&cat_id=57

I remember the one dollar bill--but I never had to staple a "license" to one to buy alcohol.( See story about the liquor store robbery)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!