Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 12:04:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Industrial machine adjustments/maintenance

Started by baileyuph, April 15, 2016, 07:45:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

In your own business, most will find that the ability to perform your own machine service is almost essential to support daily operations.  We do for sure.

In recent days, one machine issue was the upper thread was jumping out of the take up spring.  Perplexing issue from the standpoint of seam results in that seam was perfect so there was some head scratching when the "thread jumping occurred).

Ran several checks on this issue and found that, in our case what the problem was?

Care to guess the problem - offering the discussion this way because it could serve as a learning experience for all.

So, what do you think caused the problem and have you had the problem?

This was a Singer knock off machine - walking foot machine if that matters.

I get rusty on this type of maintenance when we go long spells where there are no problems -- which is probably why the head scratching occurred.

I am hoping to learn from others experience........

Doyle

SteveA

Thread flow from roll or one of the thread guides had a burr ?  Machine threading...  following the right path ?

SA

gene

Three guesses and I will absolutely be correct on one of them.

1. Thread tension guide not properly threaded or properly tensioned.

2. Fibers on the thread broke and created a growing ball of fibers at the needle eye.

3. I do not know.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Gene,

You are pretty close with the #1.

More later.

Doyle

gene

One of my sewing machines uses monofilament thread. I am guessing that the thread has an electromagnetic charge that catchs dust/fabric filaments floating around my studio. Occasionally I check the thread tension guide and there is a ball of dust in there. If I let it go it will get big enough to push out against the thread tension guide. When I first discovered this I was having trouble with the tension of my thread. I don't remember if the problem was the upper thread jumping out of the take up spring.

I check it at least once a year.

gene

baileyuph

I hear what you are saying Gene, thread -monofilament basically caused buildup in the thread path and changed the tension on you.  Very plausible.

Time to reveal my case:  Sometime in the past (how long don't remember) but due to the type of work that was being run through the needle, I arrived at a tension setting that was equal (top equalled bottom so to speak) which did a wonderful job on my project.

.........then, in time I did sewing on different type of materials, the seam was still beautiful.  Now the hatched falls........but my tension (while equal and looked beautiful) was way to tight (both threads mind you) and when the machine speed reached a point the upper thread jumped out of the take up spring.  This happened two or three times and when time was available, I decided to do deeper analysis.  That is when I found the tension problem.  Went though the tension resetting process now seam is beautiful and doesn't jump out of the system as described.  Our two cases were also a bit different due to the t hread differences we use, dirt or "accumulation" wasn't a factor -- all understandable for your case and my case (where I adjusted to much tension and yours developed because -- like you said.

BTW, I will reveal more about my machine, it is built with Seiko parts which I read is about as good as it gets.  This is one reason I doubted my problem was the equipment.

Thanks, this has been a good learning process for me. 

baileyuph

On this subject of machine tensions, adjustments, and the like (needle changes for example); 

Do most use their machine for a range of sewing or is usually the same type of material over time?  I ask because same type of sewing over time would play out differently with respect to needle changes, thread changes, lastly but not least - tension adjustments.

The things that usually happen with my sewing is smaller needle with smaller thread and perhaps a tension change and the opposite as these parameters progress toward the larger end. 

I this perspective, does your sewing vary or pretty much stay the same?

Needles ......  do you change regularly or when it becomes apparent something needs attention?

Some work is harder on the equipment which drives attention - right?

Doyle

gene

Interesting. Thanks for the links. I didn't know those things existed.

Do you use a tension measuring devise? Or does anyone else? Is that something that would be helpful if you had many sewing machines going at the same time, but not so much if you are a lonely upholsterer toiling away in his/her shop all by your lonesome?

I finished sewing silk pillows yesterday and it didn't take too much time to get the tension right on my sewing machine. I am impressed that my machine can sew silk to leather. On silk I use a small stitch length and a slow speed.

gene

Tejas

I've used one to get a needle-thread base setting in case I really screw up the tension. I've never needed to adjust the bobbin-thread tension. I should probably also get that base setting.

Try the following in google for related posts on another forum.

thread tension gauge site:leatherworker.net

Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader