Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 04:18:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Straight stitch zig zag walking foot machines

Started by forsailbyowner, February 29, 2016, 01:52:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

forsailbyowner

I've been shopping for my next machine. I've been doing some sail work and have been wanting zig zag for working on sail panels. Straight stitch is fine for the majority of sail work but most customers expect to see zig zag in the field. I'm seeing one offering with 3 or 4 different names, Eagle, Misew,Sewline and cowboy. Anybody know anything about these machines or have any reviews for me?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/SEW-LINE-SL-1146-ALL-NEW-UNIT-WALKING-FOOT-ZIG-ZAG-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINE-/322019891138?nav=SEARCH

brmax

That would be pretty good to offer that option to customers. That looks to be a model with as you said a few names, I think a singer copy from years ago. I have seen consew name on many like that, though I'm not sure how they spec. with regards to "point" I think they call it, or stitch.
And post up any new information you turn up.
Floyd

Tejas

Quote from: brmax on February 29, 2016, 04:50:52 am
... with regards to "point" I think they call it, or stitch.

On the word "point" and sail-making -repairing zig zag sewing machines, the reference might be the capability for multi-point, multi-step zig zag often seen on sails.

My Bernina 217 has a cam reader, and I have a three-point, two-step cam and a four-point, three-step cam. I've used the later for UV panel jib replacement on a 36' sailboat 140° genoa. The head also needed replacement. Getting the sail rolled-up and under the arm was a real hassle. Repairing the head and tack of the sail with multiple layers of Dacron, webbing and leather covering was only just possible. The maximum thread size seems to be V-92 for this machine. Elsewhere on the sail, thread size was apparently V-138. Essentially, the machine was only marginally adequate for my skill level and a sail this size. I wouldn't even consider attempting repair on my mainsail.

Depending upon the size of sails, were I to consider sail repair zig zag sewing machine, I'd want to determine the type of sails, size of the sails, the need for multi-point, multi-step, thread size and space under the arm.

Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Tejas

Since you are considering a made in China machine, you might not be aware that in addition to the LSZ-1 sewing machine, Sailrite also sells "Professional" machines that seem suitable for sail making and repair. With Sailrite you might get better after sale support than some other dealers.

Here is a link to a Salirite sewing machine comparison chart.

http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Sailrite%20Sewing%20Machine%20Comparison%20Chart.pdf

The Sailrite forum might have some user experience with these machines.

http://forum.sailrite.com
Dave

Bob T

February 29, 2016, 07:32:44 am #4 Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:54:23 am by Bob T
The sewing machine featured in the EBAY ad is a knockoff of the Consew 146 line.  I used to own one and for sail work.  I even nicknamed it SKIPPY!   It made easy work difficult.  It was always getting out of time and was just about useless.  I could count on having to time it at least once a week.   I now own a Bernina 217 with the cam reader and it is a great machine, but is limited to size 92 thread.   It just isn't capable of using 138 thread.  For heavy duty sails, you'll need to look at the Adlers.

There aren't many people in the heavy sail repair business because the cost of admission is just too high, starting with the capable sewing machine.  You will have to be more than a hobbyist to make it worthwhile, and then.... the people who will want service are notoriously cheap! 

I repair windsurfing sails,....something like 8000+ to date, and I have a 366 Adler China knockoff capable of sewing the large boat sails, I paid about $5500 for it. I use it only for windsurfing sails and similar equipment but it "is" capable of sewing large boat sails.  Large boat sails require specialty fabrics, and a space large enough to work on them.  Plus, you just about won't be able to work on them without a helper to help move the sail.  For this reason, I don't do boat sails.

It is a whopper of a commitment.

brmax

I just want to say thanks for the comments Tejas, Bob T,
Making it quick here, always appreciate to here from you all about this type work and your experience in it. Keeps many of us in better focus, Sharing of your experience is looking forward in this biz, thanks
Floyd

forsailbyowner

I've been getting kind of buried with sail work. The vast majority of it is luff tape, uv stripe ,leech repairs and resizing. All of which is OK with straight stitch. Recently I was involved getting a 62 ready for an extended cruise. It's sails were huge, big enough that I couldn't pick up the rolled up sail by myself, with a 60' luff. I do my sewing in the setee of my boat. So while working on this sail the setee was completely full of sail with Me working one edge on the bottom of the pile. A day of that is like a day wrestling bears, exhausting. But the money was great! At one point when I brought a sail in with a thousand dollars worth of repairs the client said "that's all?" My main issue with having 2 machines is space. I either need to build a table that adapts to 2 different machines or has a change out top.

Geez for less than $5500 I could get a 30" walking foot zig zag. I'm just finding it hard to find an appropriate machine that will double duty straight and zig zag. As little as if use the zig zag maybe an option would be to build a box for one and using it on the deck or something. Thanks fort all the replies.

brmax

They do seem to carry a pretty good price, stopped in on the web and seen sailrites pro model at 4999. long arm, yep nice, but will keep my eyes open. I really haven't looked any more to even understand specs. Just know to stop here first, so! is the 217? a walking foot zig zag. It makes total sense some of the heavy and taller sails and such needing a walker in my mind  ::)
If I remember some mentioning 217 a great one for lite medium work but before I say much I would need to re read some of the past post, which aint bad at all, and as my dam coffee maker is about shot. That's on priority list today/redline
Good day there
Floyd

Tejas

Quote from: brmax on March 01, 2016, 08:05:47 am... is the 217? a walking foot zig zag.

No, the Bernina 217 is not a walking foot sewing machine. Here's a link to the best description I've found online.

http://www.ashleyandthenoisemakers.com/blog/2015/5/7/bernina-217-review

As the article states, one with the optional cam reader is apparently difficult to find. However, after-market cams can be purchased, and that's were I got the multi-pont, multi-step cams.
Dave

Mojo

I would contact Bob Kovar from Toledo Sewing Machine and talk with him about the different models.
Bob has forgot more about machines then most of us will ever learn.

He knows the internal parts and layout and because he is a repair expert sees all the various machines that come in. He can tell you which ones are solid performers and which ones are not. I buy most of machines through him but when I have run across used machines I contact him first and run things by him. He has saved me alot of aggravation over the years.

Here is his number. Tell him your a member here and that I suggested you call him. Bob and his son Bobby will shoot you straight. They are VERY honest people.

419-380-8540

Chris

forsailbyowner

I looked at sailrites machines and they're offering the same machine, although priced a thousand higher. I imagine a machine used for sewing the thick build your in the corners would need to be timed often. Broken needles are common. But I can do this with my Adler without too much trouble if it will fit under the presser foot. Where the zig zag i is needed is in the field. Really of there is more than two fabrics being joined the benefit of a zig zag stitch is lost. In my own experience I've put tens of thousands of hard miles on sails I've putty together with straight stitch. Once a seam is put together with Sean tape and 3 rows of zig zag does it really stretch the seams ? Add to that that is deemed acceptable to assemble uv stripes with straight stitch maybe the zig zag is cosmetic in reality more than anything IMO. Leaning towards a less expensive non walking foot zig zag as these seen to abound for a fraction of  the cost of one that will walk straight and zigzag.