Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 04:27:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Singer halting at thick seems

Started by sharethewealth, January 12, 2016, 12:20:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sharethewealth

Hi Folks, I got a little problem with my singer 111w153.
For example, when I'm sewing a vinyl car seat backed with foam and I come to a seem on one side my material likes to halt at the foot, almost like it is to thick to go under the foot and if I don't catch it, it will sit in place and the needle will just destroy the vinyl and I have to start with a new piece.  My timing and stitches are perfect.

Any idea what might be going on?
Thanks,
Tim

sofadoc

Have you loosened the presser foot tension all the way?

Do you have a knee lift? If so, can you nudge it a little as you go over the hump?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Tejas

I'm just DIY, and professionals on the Web site probably have better diagnosis. This might not be a problem with just your machine. I had a Singer 111W155 and even with my current machine, climbing over seams can be a problem. You might want to try a jean-a-ma-jig (aka: hump jumper or presser foot spacer that comes in various thicknesses). I have used them to climb-over and climb-off seams.

You can find a jean-a-ma-jig on Amazon or at JoAnn.

Depending on the machine, there might be alternative. On my Juki, it is possible to adjust the ability to climb over a seam, but I'm after a quick search, I haven't found the details. I think I recall that there is also a disadvantage, but I don't recall what that was. If you are interested, I could try further.

Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

MinUph

A 111w is for thinner materials. Sofa's idea is about as good as it gets. Just bump the foot lift a bit when running over the seams.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

I'm with 'Doc---back off the presser foot tension. If your machine has a tendency to move one layer of fabric faster than the other you know you have too much tension as well. Over the years I have used half a dozen 111W155's or their Consew counterparts and have seen a big difference in how the foot lift height is adjusted as well. I'm talking like 3/16" from lowest to highest. Adjusting it is a bit of a pain in that you have to match feed dog motion to height to some other thing that I'd have to re-read the service manual on, but it is doable. Given a choice I'd rather farm that out to a pro---but it is DIY - doable.

The other thing you want to do is minimize the "step" she has to go over. Fold one salvage edge north and the other one south before you have to cross it, even if that requires clipping the salvage. If you see a lump you have to cross, flatten it with a hammer , etc...

You could also make a ramp like Tejas was talking about out of cardboard tacking strips.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sharethewealth

January 12, 2016, 04:40:01 pm #5 Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:41:16 pm by sharethewealth
Sofadoc, I will loosen the tension on the foot, it is pretty tight. I do have a knee lift and that is what I recently started bumping it but I just don't like doing that.  Thanks for the info on the ramp Tejas, I will be looking on amazon to get the ramp to try it out. I am always curious to see what's out there, Thanks for the tip Darren, I have had a problem with one layer stretching more than the other. These tips will sure help a lot, thanks so much for the help!!!

I have the service manual for this machine, I don't mean to sound  over confident, but I set my own timing and am very confident in making adjustments and repairs, but I am also still learning about the machines and how they work, but once I have that understanding I will repair anything. I plan on repairing my brother 1250D embroidery machine next.

sharethewealth

Minuph, You mentioned the singer I have is not for very thick materials. What would be a good machine with reverse? I know the juki's are good, but I just don't know model numbers. I will mostly be doing automotive and marine, but will do furniture too as I want to replace my current job by with upholstery work.

Thanks, Tim

MinUph

There are many machines. Consew,Juki, etc
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Tejas

Tim, you might want to post your question on the leather sewing machines forum. There seem to more mechanical discussions there. No problem your question is not about sewing leather.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/

Try the following in google to get an idea:

singer 111w153 site:leatherworker.net
Dave

sharethewealth

Thanks Tejas, I will check that out.

MinUph

Sharthewealth,
  Sorry I was so short in answering earlier. I was pretty busy.
  The Consew 206RB models are very reliable, I have a 205RB (lesser cost) that has treated me well. Phaf is a top machine 145 is the model I was used to and it was a work horse. There are so many models to consider. I have never owned a Juki but they are highly liked. I guess it will depend on your budget and weather you go new or used. If you can fins a good well maintained machine you can save a lot of money. Others here should chime in with makes and models they like. I'm astonished they haven't already.
  My father always wanted a 111w for light weight work but never got one. We used the pfaf for everything. It wasn't designed for lightweight and it was a struggle working with it on fabrics like chintz, polished cotton etc. Two machines in a shop is ideal. Another turnoff for me to look for the 111w is the lack of reverse. Both my seamstresses are "use to" reverse as am I, so working without it would be a challenge.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sharethewealth

Tanks for the info Paul, I will be looking for a good used one. I would definitely like to have reverse too.

Virgs Sew n Sew

My Bernina sewing machine, that I absolutely adore, comes with this cute little accessory for sewing seams of varying thickness.  It has 3 plastic "sticks" that swivel.  You stop before getting to a thick seam (jeans, coats, etc) and put 1-3 of these "sticks so that your pressure foot is the same height (approximately) as the seam.  Prevents the motor from working in overdrive and gives a nice smooth seam.  Tack strip could easily be used to replicate this nifty little gadget as previously suggested.  This thing is absolutely slick as could be and one of my favorite accessories. 

I used it on my upholstery machine with a very thick seam and it worked like a charm.

Virginia

Tejas

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on January 24, 2016, 10:18:22 am
cute little accessory for sewing seams of varying thickness.

The varying thickness spacers that Virginia mentioned might be similar to the presser foot spacers mentioned in the earlier post. I think that the jean-a-ma-jig comes in only one thickness.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/presser+foot+spacers.do
Dave

Mike

light foot on my 111w sews over thick seams fine .