Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 09:08:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Table cover for window work ?

Started by Grebo, May 23, 2012, 10:01:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

That's it, I have decided its time to have a 'proper' cover for the work table. Only need it for sewing windows in. Fed up with cling film & moving sheets about,  ??? Snap on snap off sort of thing.
So, any ideas what I should make it out of ?

Bobbin did you make some thing like this. ?

T'anks.

Suzi

bobbin

I did indeed, Suzi!  (if you want pix let me know, they're on the other 'puter)

I made mine with pressing draperies in mind, so I added a layer of Homosote to the table top, then made a padded layer to put over the Homosote, and the final covers were made from cotton canvas that I'd put through hot wash and then a hot dryer.  The object of the game was to make the top cover fully washable.  I recommend that you do the same thing, even if you opt for a terry cloth or flannel cover.  It's really nice to be able to launder something!

I fitted the canvas covers so they were pretty snug and I seated snaps around the perimeter of the cover and the male portion of the snaps on the underside of the tables.   They took a fair piece of time to make, but they work like a charm!  I've washed them and they still fit nicely.  They have to be one of the smartest things I've ever done. 

Mike

I had at kne time recieved some fleese backed  inyl nice and soft insnapped it on my table.
Is eorked good at first but with the window sliding on the
Fleese if a particle of dirt or slmthing got on the fleece tye window would still get fine scratches.
The. I got some open mesh material soft and i lay the window on it slding it all on the table so nothing to slide against the vinyl no scratch. But latly when doing a window panel i just juse the lattern.
My pattern done in 6 mill
Plastic for the window ill lay the plastIc pattern on the table and my sheet vinyl over it the pattern is held flat and i transfer all mark zipper start stopes ect onto the vinyl and. Ut the panel shape out keeping the plastic under i add facing and finnish the window then when done. The plastic will tear at the stich perferation

Grebo

Thanks bobbin thats great, good idea with the washing, then I wont get a built up of bits like Mike said.
I did think of vinyl with a fluffy back but I doubt it would survive much washing machine abuse.
Flannel sounds good.
Nice idea with the pattern Mike, I might try sewing on just one side see if I can make it work. But I prefer the cover idea.  ;D

:-*  Thank you Gang.

Suzi