Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 08:54:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Where to get Logos printed on upholstery vinyl??

Started by Stephen, August 21, 2015, 05:14:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

August 21, 2015, 05:14:22 pm Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:01:59 am by Stephen
Hi,
I have to give a price on a job of recovering 40 folding chairs, like this one in upholstery vinyl.

They want their logo printed on the vinyl, similar to how it is in the picture.

Does anyone know of any place that will print logos on upholstery vinyl?

Best Wishes
Stephen

brmax

At the present I don't but will sure be interested in your findings, I have seen some mention of this on fabric type in Awning fabrication as one of the fabricator magazines was tipping it as a new option.
By the way I would just like to say thanks for the wealth of information on your site, as I have learned quite a bit, and used many of your ideas as starting out.

Thanks and Good day

scott_san_diego

Any silk screen printer would be able to do it for you.  Just ask them how big they would like you to cut the vinyl for them.  Once they have finished, then you can cut to size.

Stephen

October 22, 2015, 08:20:41 am #3 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 06:03:14 pm by Stephen
Quote from: scott_san_diego on September 21, 2015, 02:22:41 am
Any silk screen printer would be able to do it for you.  

That is partially/conditionally true. In the month since I posted my message here I have had a couple sample logos printed on upholstery vinyl. After getting those samples back I did a personal durability test. I grabbed a bunched-up piece of burlap and scrubbed hard on the ink printed surface. The ink rubbed off, which is not a good thing. Since then I have been doing a lot of research online as well as asking questions of various screen printing shops. Since then I have learned that the screen printer needs to use a solvent-based ink, which is said to bond with the vinyl surface instead of just lay on top of the vinyl. The challenge is that using a solvent-based ink is a health hazard and many silk-screen printers no longer use it. It takes special equipment to safely use the solvent based ink, which most small silk-screen print shops either can't afford or choose not to invest in.

I am currently having new samples printed with two different silk-screen printers using solvent based ink. We'll see how the ink on these samples stand up.

Best Wishes,
Stephen

brmax

Stephen, thank you for sharing the information you gathered great work there!
I know we hear of many manufactures making vinyl and fabrics, at this time just a few I look to.
One I like does mention the best use of print is obtained with a solvent base per that fabric Top Gun, now they mention water and another but I don't recall type.
All this I just noticed since your initial posting, as the company was starting to make a camo print and this was the reason I briefly looked further.
So again appreciate your help on the subject as this could be a neat option.

Good day there
Floyd

scott_san_diego

You are correct  that the screen printer does need to use a solvent based ink. "NAZDAR GV SERIES GLOSS VINYL SCREEN INK" should do the job.  I would call a screen printing supply house to confirm with them what solvent based ink they would recommend to use on vinyl.  The ink should cost about $25 -$30 a quart.