Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 12:12:10 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cushion

Started by SteveA, March 19, 2015, 01:59:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I'm being asked to estimate the cost of making a new bigger cushion to fill out a new slip cover that is over size but when I look at the boxing I'm thinking there are wrinkles from bad sewing that won't come out -  am I guessing right ?
Thanks for the help
SA

sofadoc

In addition to bad sewing, it looks like if you build a foam core to fit the cover, the cushions are going to be too wide between the arms, as well as hanging off the front of the couch.

I might suggest just adding a lot of batting to try and make the cushions look semi-decent. Any more effort than that might be throwing good money after bad.

Unless they want to pay you to rip the seams out and completely re-sew the cushion covers.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

March 19, 2015, 02:55:03 pm #2 Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:09:03 pm by MinUph
What he said

I'll add this now that I have a little time. And not to be negative but. You're being asked to fix someone's work that really didn't do a very good job of fitting the cushion covers, sewing the covers, and all the rest of the job looks the same quality of workmanship. To do a proper job or repair, you will need to open the cushions up cut them down to the proper size and resew them. Seats and backs. This will do nothing for the rest of the piece, but it seems your being asked for the cushions only. You can add fill, wrap dacron until the cows come home and it will not be much better. Offer a proper job and make the customer happy.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

No, going to a larger X-Y dimension of filler (foam), probably wouldn't do.  But a thicker foam core Z dimension probably would tighten things up much better.  How much, well I would try a medium density 1 inch of foam added to the existing core which is assumed to be foam also.

You can glue the additional layer.

Do your little test with a 1" layer (just add a smaller piece to see how the cushion looks and feels (12 X 12 probably be enough) and go from there.  Add only 1" to one side not both sides of the existing core.

Examine the existing core, if it is foam, steam it and add the 1", then if it needs smoothing a thin layer of dacron wrap added might be all it needs.

Further analysis and do whatever it needs.

Doyle

brmax

Does that have a bed fold out option in there, making a better reason for investment.
Just curious
good day you all

SteveA

Thanks All !

No there isn't a sofa bed.  The frame is a major manufacturer.  The customer ordered new slip covers for their existing 5 year old sofa.  No one measures - the factory states they know the size and produced a new cover.  It's a micro fiber - didn't seem to stretch much but my knowledge of fabrics is limited.  Only the cushions covers were too big in spite of the sewing which looks to be causing more of the wrinkles.  The fabric was a custom order and I'm told it's no longer available.  The manufacturer will do the job over with a different fabric however customer wants this gray fabric -
I'm going to offer to add a Dacron wrap and/or batting - no guarantees but I think opening the cushions and re-sewing is the better answer.  I'm thinking most here would much rather make a new cover then open up and re-sew someone else's work.
SA