Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 04:28:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

extra cotton

Started by 65Buick, June 19, 2018, 01:40:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Got a bag full of scraps. Anyone tried making cushions from it? Make a pillow and wrap it in dacron?
Stuff's expensive and I hate to toss it, but if it needs be..

MinUph

Put it in a barrel and you will use it when you need it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Way too many uses for scrap cotton. Mostly to fill corners but also to build up the sides of inside backs and seat decks before you put the padding on. Also to fill the corners of cushions.

I generally keep a box for scraps but lately I have two boxes. I keep them because I know some day I will get a big job where I need a lot of scraps.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

I gave a bunch of old cotton I took out of chairs to a bee keeper. He uses it in his smoker. He said it stays lit, lasts longer, and smokes better than other things he's burned in his smoker. He also likes the smell of the smoke.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Extra cotton is usually put to a good use, but the extra fabric seems to pile up faster than can be used.

I have a little bit of this and that - all very high quality but the consumer taste changes and as a result
color/pattern is most important - consumer doesn't like it.

In the end, the shop "gathers" and there is a limit to it all.  So, this better but out of style stuff has
to be pitched. 

I can't think of any way to put it to good use.

I guess if I worked for designers/decorators or what, I could give all scraps to them.  Don't know if
they would bother?

Same problem?

Doyle

kodydog

Most decorators have the same problem, what to do with leftovers. They would love an upholsterer to come along and buy all of their remnants for $5 a yard.

What to do when the decorator orders too much fabric. Definitely don't want the customer to see a remnant of 5 yards at $100/yard. There have been times the decorator asks if we can keep it for them. Other times they say just keep it. Usually we give it back to the decorator at another time.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on June 26, 2018, 06:11:15 am
What to do when the decorator orders too much fabric. Definitely don't want the customer to see a remnant of 5 yards at $100/yard. There have been times the decorator asks if we can keep it for them. Other times they say just keep it. Usually we give it back to the decorator at another time.
i used to have a decorator that would sell it on the next job. Of course, that meant that all of her customers had identical fabrics in their homes. In a small town, it eventually caught up with her.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

LOL! yeah maybe a big city...p