Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 01:59:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My favourite tail gate

Started by Darren Henry, March 23, 2016, 03:56:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

I have never been so happy to see the backside of a grain truck as I was when this beast left the yard today.

It's a Peterbuilt that Cancade (large local company that builds truck boxes etc..) converted to a grain truck for a customer. Originally the tractor had been built for a sleeper so they covered the outside of that large opening from the outside and had a window installed. They also ran a piece of angle aluminum across it side to side about half way up to (upside down BTW) and then dropped it off Thursday afternoon for a panel to make it look professional.  I don't know why the guy who was supposed to do the upholstery quit on them but I have had to catch up to his deadline [read diaper in my face " why isn't done---How much longer?---Need to have it by impossible---blah blah]

You would be surprised how little room there is in there where I couldn't remove the air ride seats and the passenger seat does not lean forward.

Because the window was already mounted I had to "Just tuck it in under the rubber", which had me twisted up like Gumbee from coffee until well after coffee. Six hours of that was too  much for my back. I want to soak some marbles in liniment and just  roll back and forth on them in the tub.

For all that I got one compliment from the co-worker who parked it outside.

Mike; you're doing the next one---Chris will come help you.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Rich

Looks great Darren! The customer should love it.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

March 23, 2016, 04:53:41 pm #2 Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:54:19 pm by gene
Yes, nice work. Being on the thin side looks like a requirement to do that job?

QuoteFor all that I got one compliment from the co-worker who parked it outside.

"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel they have not said enough." Mark Twain

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

March 23, 2016, 05:46:01 pm #3 Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:48:04 pm by kodydog
Darren, sometimes the things you do just amazes me. That headlight frame for instance. Nice job.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Thanks guys. Compliment was probably the wrong choice of word. I'm not vain and didn't post to show off or anything. Comment would have been a better word. The boss knew what a heck of a time I had to do this and how hard I tried to meet his deadline. I was just whining that neither he nor the guy from Cancade who came to pick it up gave me any feed back as to whether the customer was happy or if all that work was appreciated at all. I had hoped for " It took you too damned long, bit higher next time. At least the customer liked it. How's your back?"

QuoteBeing on the thin side looks like a requirement to do that job?

That's like Noah saying " it looks like rain". I have to put on my down parka to cast a shadow, and I was cramped back there. LOL. The next time a jockey kicks sand in my face I'm gonna slap him with a Charles Atlas dumb bell LOL.

To that end; the lesson learned is that if I had been afforded any input, or I take on another one, there will be two major changes. The truck will arrive with no seats ( or at least someone is helping sort out all those air hoses etc....). The glass company will wait and install the window after I am finished. Were it not for those two obstacles it would not have been a big thing.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

I would have been seeing my back doctor if I had tried to install the stuff in those tight corners. 

Incredible job for sure!

Virginia

Mike

check out this sleeper Darren I think Chris would like it

me I was busy up and down this ladder trying not to fall