Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 03:14:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

welt foot

Started by Vtool, April 01, 2012, 08:22:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vtool

I'm in need of a 1/4 welt foot. I really don't want to use ebay, alot of ebay is garbage. who do you guy's recommend ? this is for a juki 563.

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Vtool

thank you sofadoc. I guess my main concern is chinese made products. not of high quality. not saying keystone stocks china-made. where are most sewing machine parts manufactured ? are there any produced in US , germany or japan? if the cost is more, no problem. thanks again.

sofadoc

IMHO, the one that I linked from Gregg is as good as you're going to get WITHOUT buying OEM parts.
And OEM's will set you back a lot more cash. If you got your heart set on the primo feet, I'm sure that Gregg can fix you up there as well.

I've bought some larger Juki feet from E-bay stores, and I had to do a little grinding to make them fit. Sure, it's a bit of a nuisance, but they're certainly cheap enough.

About 20 years ago, I paid $200 for a set of Pfaff feet, and I STILL had to grind them!!

I really don't worry too much about top quality when it comes to welt feet. If they fit....they fit.
It ain't like you're going to be sewing through a piece of railroad track.

Vtool

thanks again . also is there a difference between the chrome foot and black foot ? can you also explain why you have to grind foot. please understand. I'm still learning. also i do appriciate your input. thank you

sofadoc

I doubt that you'll have to grind a 1/4" foot. On some larger feet, such as 1/2", sometimes the needle bar's thread guide strikes the top of the foot on the downstroke. I just grind some off the top. It doesn't change the working design of the foot. But again, never had any problems with smaller feet, such as 1/4".
I'm sure that the chrome foot is of a higher quality. But the black feet work just fine.

Mojo

Dennis, if memory serves me correctly we were buying our welt feet from the same E-bay vendor. I have to say their customer service is awesome. I ordered a chrome welt foot and they sent me a black one. I contacted them and they said keep the black one and sent me a chrome one.

The chrome ones have a better fit then the black ones and are made with better steel. The black ones are like pot metal and break off if twisted, adjusted or bent a little.

I know I have purchased all my chrome feet from that vendor and they have been top notch and cheap. I think the most expensive chrome set I bought was $ 18. I have since found out Bob Kovar carries these chrome feet and his price is right there with the E-bay vendor.

I believe we have all had to grind or tweak feet regardless of who we bought from. Do you remember the name of the E-Bay vendor we were buying from ? I really appreciated not having to screw around and mail back that one bad foot. I have better things to do then run back and forth to UPS shipping feet back and forth. Time is money. I thought that you also had a problem with one from them.

Next time I order a set I am going to order from Bob and have him try it on one of his machines before he ships it. Then if its bad he can catch it before he ships it out. Either that or I will make that old fart grind it down. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on April 01, 2012, 09:07:36 pmDo you remember the name of the E-Bay vendor we were buying from ? I really appreciated not having to screw around and mail back that one bad foot.
I think it was this place:
http://stores.ebay.com/amindustrialsupply/JUKI-LU562-563-1508-DNU1541-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=1202534013&_sid=518028543&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2
They sent me a new set and told me to just keep the set that I was unhappy with.
For grinding, I kinda like the black ones better (easier to see how much you've ground). I haven't had any break.

Mojo

That's the vendor Dennis.

I never had to grind any of their chrome feet which is why I always specified in a note to them to ship only chrome feet. The chrome ones have fit perfectly every time.

These small parts that cost $ 15 - 20 bucks are not worth shipping back if they are wrong so it is a good thing AMindustrial has that policy. $ 3 dollars for shipping $ 5 for gas and then 30 minutes of time out of the shop ? It isn't worth shipping back and forth. That is one reason why I ordered through them because they stand behind their product and wont jerk you around with sending cheap parts back and forth.

Chris

ahkahn

We sell them and they're in stock.  $23.99/each.  We can mail, UPS, pick up, etc.  They're not on our website at this point.

-Andrew

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

April 02, 2012, 06:42:02 am #10 Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:50:46 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Theese welting feet are usually never a problem, and are among some of the most common items we sell.  Only in the larger sizes, say like a 3/4" and depending on your model machine, do you have have to cut away a recess in the top part of the foot.  1/4" would never suffer from this issue.

See image for the 'cutaway' people are asking about, on a S68 (Use this for turns and curves) foot that we sell with speical cutaway done at the factory;

See the S68 here; http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/0205b79f0eeb474287ccae37c226d9c5

http://www.keysew.com/Webpages/DemoImages/S68Cutaway.jpg

On an unrelated note...I'm starting to sell swing away roller/edge guides, custom installed on specific machine models.  I was wondering what, if any intrest, there would be for items like these.

You can kindly view larger image of them here; http://store.keysew.com/parts/sewing-parts/juki-mah-152010a0-suspended-edge-guide

Again, this is for 'just about' any model machine, as almost every machine will install differently.

Mojo

Greg:

That roller guide thingie looks cool as hell. I would love to see one in action. :)

Chris

Vtool

thanks to everyone for the input. my comment about garbage comes from a purchase of webbing pliers. they were made of cheap metal and when I used. they broke in my hand and left a nasty gouge. I have since purchased a pair of cs osbourne.

Mojo

From everything I have learned and heard from vendors, there are just a couple manufacturers of aftermarket chrome welt feet in the world and they are located in China. Greg, Bob, AM Industrial, Andrew, etc. ultimately end up getting their feet from the same source. They may get them from different distributors but they are all made in the same factory from what I was told.

So what it comes down to in the end is price and customer service. That is why I will buy from Bob from now on. I can have him check the foot on a machine in his store before he mails it to ensure it fits and is correct and lines up right. I am sure Greg would do the same thing if you asked him. AM Industrial doesn't give a rats rear end, they just ship it. If you have a problem they ship you another one for free with an apology - no questions asked.

I would be very pissed off if I have to waste my time and money shipping back an $ 18 welt foot that doesn't line up properly or is to thick and needs to be ground not to mention having to wait around for a new one.

Chris

ahkahn

Mojo,

You're probably correct.  That happens with most everything we distribute, which is why we are always constantly working hard to improve every aspect of our customer service. 

-Andrew