Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 03:56:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sunbrella Upholstery Fabric

Started by baileyuph, June 21, 2013, 07:11:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I always cut with a hot knife. Always. In my applications the stoppers and awnings can be routinely subjected to 65 mph winds as the coach goes down the road. Some of the toppers while not extended will have the full length of the under siding that is attached to the coach wall exposed. I cut with a hot knife to eliminate any possible warranty claims.

I have a system down using a straight edge as my guide and can cut accurately and as fast with a hot knife as I can with scissors.

Chris

baileyuph

Thank you and does your knife profile something like a pencil? 

Doyle

bobbin

I cut all acrylics with my Engel hot knife.  It save a step for me, no need to move to the overlock machine!

I can't speak to fade issues with respect to interior use.  Most window glass nowadays cuts UV degradation markedly, but it's no real "cure". 

Acrylics for marine canvas and awning use are naturally very stiff.  They have nowhere near the "hand" of many upholstery fabrics, Paul.  There is next to no "give" and if your top and bottom pcs. are "off" there isn't much wiggle room... ease? forget it.  And you'd best be prepared to clip/notch curves if you want a clean, crisp turn.  JMO.  I personally think vinyls are a lot more forgiving.  Wonder what June thinks about this topic...

baileyuph

Cutting with an Engel, Bobbin are there heat ranges you learn to adjust to or with the knife, one heat setting for all cutting? 

I have a brand new Engel, never used it though, can't believe it,  though acrylics are not my mainstay.  Hot knife wasn't required on bias cuts, my experience with the material used.

Vinyl vs acrylics, vinyl with some stretch is more forgiving, MHO.
Doyle

Mojo

I have an Engle I use and it is either on - or - off. There is no heat setting that I am aware of.
The Engle is the gold standard of hot knifes.

Chris

Mike

Cuttin. Is. Better with a hot knife but for me slower so i will trim. Cover cit on a boat eith sissors. The edge is to be binded but be sure to insert the fabric all the way into the bi ding ss the. Ut edge can fray and the binding can come loose. Thread size i use. 92