Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 10:08:10 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What did he say?

Started by gene, October 16, 2014, 06:11:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

October 16, 2014, 06:11:40 pm Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:13:02 pm by gene
OK. Here's something that I bet has never been talked about on this forum. Ever!

Here's a video of a guy saying the word "upholsterer" in sign language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8x8b6ljlgY

It seems that sign language will often use a combination of words to mean something specific. Otherwise they will often just spell the word with letters.

Does anyone know what words this guy is saying that the total meaning of it is "upholsterer"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

I think he said, " is that the best price you can do it for ?"
SA

byhammerandhand

Cut the fabric, roll it over the edges, and staple it down = upholsterer.

He kind of looks like my neighbor when he's been talking to his landscapers every week for the last 12 months.  But I know he is not deaf.

(?)

One of my daughters had a year of ASL, but that was 14 years ago, so I don't know how much she remembered.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Maybe I should learn ASL.

A lot of my customers seem to want to convey to me in sign language.

But I hate to waste money on an entire full-length course just to learn what the fully erect middle finger means.

I think it means "I'm in a hurry", because they always storm out of my shop right after.
Or perhaps it means "I'm choking on something", because they always have a red face when they use this sign.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

October 31, 2014, 04:38:16 pm #4 Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:40:20 pm by gene
I sent an email to a local college that teaches sign language and asked them what the guy in the video was saying.

I never heard back.

Maybe they don't know? That would not be so good for a college that teaches sign language.

Maybe the guy in the video is saying things that are not very nice? If he is, I wonder if they think I'm the guy in the video?

Oh well. If I need to say the word "upholsterer" to someone who is deaf I'll just say it really really loud.

gene

PS: When someone gives me the middle finger I tell them that if they pee their pants then their behavior will be completely like a one year old child. I then stare at their crotch in anticipation.

byhammerandhand

Gene, Gene, Gene.    Your studio is 1/4 mile from a large resident school for the deaf. 

(See you later today?)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

November 01, 2014, 06:38:16 am #6 Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:38:43 am by gene
LOL. You're right, Keith. And I never even thought of St. Rita School for the deaf. I even have a good friend who was the accountant for that school for many years. He does not know sign language, but he knows a lot of folks who do.

The solving of the mystery has new hope.

gene

(Yep, I'll give you a call later today to see if you are around.)