Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 06:01:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

End Table

Started by SteveA, October 06, 2016, 04:48:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Customer purchased new - delivered w/broken leg.  Table replaced + Co. left damaged table behind.  New $ 1000.00 - repair $ 300.00 -
It was a ragged break with pieces missing.  Repair result good - fortunately it is the back leg.  Will deliver back next week - customer now has a matched set :)

baileyuph

Read to assume the customer is paying for the restoration? 

The work is a great job - based on the photo on the message.

The style might suggest it is U.S. made?  American wood you think?

Splintered as it was, a very good job was done in bringing the original shape, color, and

grain back to match. 

What was the scope of the refinish work, more than the leg?

The refinish work would be an interesting presentation.

Doyle

gene

Nice work. And having a matching pair is not a bad deal for the home owner.

If the company can afford to throw away the first table, you can only imagine how much their profit margins are. It's cheaper to throw away the first table than to ship it back to the company. I wouldn't be surprised if the tables are made in China and the company that is selling them here in the USA has no repair facilities.

A few questions if I may: What kind of glue? Any dowels or other connectors? What type of wood filler? How many hours do you estimated it took you to complete the work? And finally, do you think the repaired leg is stronger than it was before it broke?

Thanks for posting.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

Doyle - customer is paying - told them 3-4 hundred but will charge 3.  The table is made by Maitland Smith.  All marquetry work with stringing - dyed wood with blocking out for the lighter color veneers - low luster sheen lacquer topcoats.  Quality made table - I only repaired the leg - no other finishing work needed.

Gene - the comparable replacement today is $ 1500.00 and they were fortunate the crew didn't salvage the broken table.  Same thing just occurred on another job with a moser chair -  they left behind a $ 4000.00 chair that was damaged - I'm getting that job next month - these companies waste too much - I'm not complaining !

The glue was epoxy paste and epoxy liquid. The filler was bondo.  After mating up all the splinters I put a 5/8th dowel to join the fluted block at the top of the leg between the rails to the square tapered bottom part of the leg.  The dowel that's inserted is 3 inches in each direction and the leg is now as strong as the original construction. It took about 2 hours working on and off.  The most critical part is making sure the repaired leg doesn't angle left or right - back or forward more than the other 3 -
The coloring was all faux finishing with fresco powders -  re-veneering was not a good choice because I could not match the existing veneer - good old touch up work - taking my time with the base coat, glaze, graining, toning, and clears - it looks good - not typical for my usual results !  Thanks for commenting !
SA

byhammerandhand

So how did you do this?

I found a neat way to do tapered legs.  The author is a friend of mine.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/tapered_legs_on_a_planer
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison