Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 09:32:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need Help with recovering a seat

Started by pharmacist25, September 06, 2016, 12:07:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pharmacist25

The seat that I have is off of a Seadoo.  There are several corners on this seat that have these corner protectors glued on to them.  It is like a hard silicone vinyl type piece.  Does anyone know where I can get some of these corner protectors?
Also I have never done this before so any tips would be great. 

Mojo

I am clueless on the corner pieces but do know this. Spend the extra dollars and use All Sport vinyl. It will save you a ton of headaches as it stretches well and has a 4 way bias. Most guys here use the All Sport when doing these types of seats.

Mike is the resident Jetski expert. Maybe he will pop on here and comment.

Chris

pharmacist25

Mojo

MinUph

Are you sure the corners don't come off? Try heat it may help soften any glue holding them on. They might just be a factory product. The allsport will serve you well.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Take two bowls of Wheaties 2-4 hours before applying vinyl to seat. grin.

Seriously, don't be afraid to really stretch the all sport to get the nice smooth corners.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

pharmacist25

Quote from: Mojo on September 06, 2016, 04:14:16 pm
You can get it at any supply house. If your not set up with an account with a supplier and not an upholsterer then you can buy it off E-Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=metal+brake+bender&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xall+sport+vinyl.TRS0&_nkw=all+sport+vinyl&_sacat=0

Chris

Anyone know where I can get these in black?

MinUph

Quote from: pharmacist25 on September 08, 2016, 07:21:40 pm
cannot get pic to load.
here is link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxEYOVF9n3qCVU1RRlEwd0JrMFE

So the corners do come off. These can be stapled back on, or carefully cemented back on or both. The Allsport in black is available from the ebay link that Chris (Mojo) left.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

pharmacist25

Was looking for a place to order those in black. Anyone know?  Thanks for everyones help.
I covered it last night and did pretty well except for the end.
It is a semi-circle around the back of the seat and is about 6 inches wide, so I could not get it stretch out enough to eliminate the wrinkles to go around the circle.
Any suggestions?  Right now I just have it  kind of tucked under like a present and tacked.  Its ok , but not great.
Any other methods anyone knows would be awesome.
Thanks again

brmax

Probably a dealer item or if its a bit older the racing areas for the particular watersport. I'm not sure sorry!

Floyd

MinUph

Quote from: pharmacist25 on September 09, 2016, 06:35:49 am
Was looking for a place to order those in black. Anyone know?  Thanks for everyones help.
I covered it last night and did pretty well except for the end.
It is a semi-circle around the back of the seat and is about 6 inches wide, so I could not get it stretch out enough to eliminate the wrinkles to go around the circle.
Any suggestions?  Right now I just have it  kind of tucked under like a present and tacked.  Its ok , but not great.
Any other methods anyone knows would be awesome.
Thanks again
[/quote
Heat gun
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

That is where the prescription for Wheaties comes in. As Paul says, a heat gun will definitely help but you have to stretch the vinyl to make it fit without wrinkles.

Set the seat on your work bench with one corner hanging over the edge slightly. Gently heat the vinyl then grab it where 45* would be and pull down HARD. Repeat for the other corner, and then stretch the centre.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

19Chevman57

Those silicon pieces aren`t glued on. They are just stuck from years of water, sun, and sunscreen. If you work with them they will peel off. Just did a set of seadoo seats last week.
Terry

Mike

these 2 seadoo were done in allsport   no sewing seam at all just streach an staple 

sailrite sells to the general public at a good price also

http://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=all sport&order=custitem_popularity

the plactic corners you can staple on but I don't bother they don't always match  just fold and staple the corners