Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 08:33:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do you cut oval nose cushion foam?

Started by baileyuph, July 04, 2018, 01:47:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

This requirement is to prepare foam for installation into the cover when all sides are vertical except the front edge.  That edge has to be cut the shape of a semi-circle (it actually protrudes to the front edge of the sofa in a semi-circle fashion.  Sticks out the farthest out on the sofa at the center of the 7" thickness
of the bottom cushion .  So, in geometric terms, the arc of the foam front edge is cut as a circle with a
3 1/2 radius.

How would you handle this problem?

Doyle

MinUph

Special order the foam. They will do it for you

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

They have the equipment, I was thinking the same way.  Hope the can get it done within a few
days - will check on this.

Thanks Doyle

gene

July 04, 2018, 06:11:02 pm #3 Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:12:31 pm by gene
Doyle,

If I understand you correctly, I take my electric knife and cut the front edge of the foam on the top and bottom.
___
     \
      \
       |
       |
       |
       /
___/

The front of the foam look like this from the profile. I wrap it in poly batting and put it in the cushion cover. It takes the shape of the cover perfectly.

You could practice on a scrap piece of foam. If it doesn't work, you've only lost and inch or so of foam.

I hope this helps.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Yes, Gene you have the idea.  Take your idea where you bevel bottom and top edge, but expand the
requirement where that edge has to be perfectly circular, or perfect curve between the top edge and
bottom edge (180 degrees and if the foam is 7" the radius of the cut is 3 1/2 " with the center point
of the curve at the center of the foam thickness.

The arc cut has to be perfect (right on the circumference of the circle).

The bevel requirement you raised (and I also do)  is basically cutting two bevels.   The two bevels can
be close the same angle and bevel width but, the circular cut has to be right on the circumference of
the theoretical circle related to the desired shape of the nose of the foam.

Like Paul says, let the foam supplier who has the equipment do the shaping. 

But, a foam supplier with the cutting equipment  (not all do) is the "go to guy" for this
and I think I know where they are located here in the metro area.  Give me a few days
and I will have the results.

Doyle

MinUph

It would generally be your foam suppliers supplier. It takes a week for me to get this type of service but the real foam people can do just about anything.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website