Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 10:15:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Seat Pleat

Started by brokenrinker, February 15, 2011, 04:15:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenrinker

I'm trying my hand at some amateur work (got the book and video from this site). I want to take a shot at recovering the sun pad on a runabout. I've got two questions;

The old cover has pleats. They look like they were molded into the vinyl not stitched. I'd like to stitch pleats where the original ones were but it occurred to me that water might seep into the needle holes and make a mess of things. Is it kosher to stitch pleats in boat seats? Is there a right or wrong way to do it?

Question two - If I thoroughly screw this sun pad project up will a professional trimmer be able to restore the thing for a reasonable amount of money or would I be pretty much screwed? I'm wanting to do this myself not to save money but because I'd like to learn something about the craft and have the satisfaction of fixing the boat.

MinUph

Sewing the pleats would in fact let water enter in the stitching. If the sundeck gets wet water will get in. That said there will be seams anyway. Line the foam with plastic to keep the water off the foam. I would recommend you use the heat sealed pleating as original. It will minimize the amount of seams.
If you screw up and don't damage the wood or foam a trimmer will be able to save you. Don't look for a discount as it would be a new job to them.
  Have fun and give it a shot. Take the piece apart, give yourself some reference marks so when you sew it back together the marks will line up. Use the old patterns if they are still decent. If they are shrunken you may need to make new patterns.
  Lets us know progress and ask questions there are many good people here.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brokenrinker

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've been trying to work up the courage to do this.

Where do you get "heat sealed" pleating?

Mike8560

Seabrook vinyl for one has  quilted vinyl miami Corp has it

JuneC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marine-Grade-54-White-Pleated-Boat-Vinyl-Nautolex-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58887259a1QQitemZ380246317473QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Pretty good price too.  Nautolex makes good marine vinyl.  Expect to pay between $17 and $20 a yard.  You can google "pleated vinyl" for the heat-pleated stuff.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields