Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 28, 2024, 10:32:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Swapping a clutch motor for a Servo

Started by DDandJ, September 26, 2013, 10:13:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

I know the topic of servo motors has come up before and in a recent discussion Bobbin referenced her servo motor with the needle up/down feature.

The machines I primarily use are a Consew 206RB-1 and a Bernina 950.  Both have clutch motors.  I slowed the Bernina down by swapping the pulley but it's still a little squirley for me.  The Consew is old and I think I've probably got a little wear on the treadle.

I've priced a few of the servo motors and they aren't terribly expensive.  My concern is taking off the clutch motor and installing the servo.  Is this difficult?  Do the servos come with instructions.  Keep in mind I'm not a terribly mechanically inclined person.  I was shocked that I was able to swap the pulley on the Bernina.

If my memory hasn't failed I recall that you guys/ladies really like your servo motors.  I think I would like it.  The idea of no noise and speed control really sparks with me.  My hesitation is the installation.  I don't want to get into a mess from which I can't escape.

Jeremy

sofadoc

There's really not much to it. If you can remove the old clutch motor, installing the new servo will be self-explanatory. You might have to replace the belt if the old one no longer fits (too big/small). The first one took me about an hour. The second one took 20 minutes. 

The only real adjustment, is the front "hanger" bolt. You'll have to loosen or tighten it to put proper tension on the belt.

If you can operate a sewing machine, then I'm sure that you're mechanically-inclined enough to figure it out.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Tejas

FYI, I'm DIY and not all that skilled. I'm with sofadoc -- changing to a servo motor was quite easy. However, I'm not sure, and other folks might clarify, but apparently not all servo motors have the same capabilities. The servo motor I got from Keysew -- Family FESM-550N -- has maximum rpm settings and is variable speed within that range. With the servo motor I can single step the needle. With the clutch motor I had never learned to feather the clutch and feared for my fingers.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

sofadoc

Technically, you need a servo with a needle positioner to sew "one-stitch-at-a-time". But with a basic low-priced servo, you can sew so slowly, it'll almost seem like it.   

bobbin

I'm reasonably mechanically inclined but I have no intention of installing the servo on my overlock machine, mostly because I'm getting a new submerged bench top, as well.  And I'm more than happy to delegate the task to my ace mechanic!  I have a "laundry list" of other thises and thats and paying for a "house call" is worth every dime!

But I urge you to listen to what others have said about changeing out motors; if it was just the motor... I'd probably go for it myself.  But setting up a submerged top? never done it, will prolly never have to again, and I'm happy to pay!

Mom to 3 Fat Dogs said she loved her overlock (same as mine) and convinced me to swap the clutch for the servo.  Thank you! (have an operator's manual I'll copy and send to you, BTW). 

Mojo

I have swapped out several clutch motors for servos. It isn't a big job at all. 3 bolts and about 15 minutes and your done. Just connect the pedal linkage and that is it.

Give Bob Kovar a call and he will tell you what servo to go with as well as recommend a belt. I did have to change out the belt when I went with a servo on the Juki. He helped me size it over the phone, shipped me the servo and belt and I was good to go.

His prices are very good but it helps sometimes to have a service guy to be able to talk you through a tough spot over the phone. if you call Bob he will tell you what wattage ( probably 400 watt ) and belt to go with saving you alot of headaches of having to deal with someone on E-Bay.

His number is - 419-380-8540

Your going to love your servo and will be amazed at the control you will have.

Chris

bobbin

I'll repeat this and many will agree.  A good working relationship with a mechanic is key to your business.  There is nothing better than being able to pick up the 'phone and speak with someone who is familiar with your equipment and can help you when something happens and you're not sure how to fix it. 

I read posts where people spend hours on the internet looking for the "best price" while overlooking the local mechanic because "he's too expensive".  Have they bothered to document the time they put in "researching"? would the value of that time spent even out the "more expensive" local guy's price if they really quantified it?  More importantly, when something really screws up, how quickly do they think the local guy is going to respond knowing the novice owner "shopped price" only? 

I can tell you that whenever I've had a real emergency (very rare) ace mechanic has been all over helping me out! So, I'm "good with" buying the top and servo motor from him and paying him to install it!  One hand washes the other. 

baileyuph

A good reliable mechanic is priceless.  They do their stuff everyday and to have their loyalty will be great to  have.

I see nothing wrong with servos, I would buy a quality one, designed to support your type of work.

I learned and have worked without a servo which works for me, i just got used to doing what I do without one.  However, there is some of this work, that the price of making one mistake makes it smart to go your way.

Doyle

DDandJ

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

I'm kind of stuck when it comes to a mechanic.  The only sewing machine mechanic left in my neck of the woods is nearly retired and I doubt he's interested in making house calls.  He's had a lot of health problems and prefers to do what little work he does from home.

If I'm not careful I'm going to become the sewing machine mechanic for my area ;)

I'd like to sew on a machine with a servo motor before I commit to it.  I'm nearly convinced that I would like one on each of my machines.  As I said earlier the ease of control is what appeals to me.  Being able to take one stitch at a time grabs my attention too.

Tejas, do you have a servo on your Bernina 217?

Chris, Sofadoc thanks for the info.  I can probably handle the task and I'm sure that after I'm done I'll say it was no big deal.

Jeremy

Tejas

As for having a servo motor on the Bernina 217, I've been a bit slow getting it set up. Contrary to probably good advice to not buy unseen from eBay, I did. The machine seems to work when the hand wheel is turned. We'll see. I have an appointment next week to get a power stand with a servo motor, so I can report back toward the end of the week.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

MinUph

These servos are really nice. I like the fact that it doesn't run unless I press the foot pedal. It did take a little getting use to but that was partly because it was a new machine and I had the motor turned up full speed. Now its back up to full speed and all is well. Nice! I guess it is just a standard servo it doesn't have these features mentioned. But I can go as slow as I want or as fast as I want. Works for me. And it doesn't take an hour to run down when turned off like my pfaff did with the clutch motor.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

September 29, 2013, 06:13:38 am #11 Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:14:45 am by Mike
Id like the needle stop down feature.
Maybe when my motors gone ill try one but i dont have reason to change now.
What is the difference in cost of a low cost vs good unit sofa ?

sofadoc

raindodger

Ive had a cheap Consew servo with needle positioning for almost a year now.  I payed $170 for the motor, and I haven't had any problems so far.  This motor has adjustable ramp up speed so you can adjust how long it takes to go from zero to 100% when you mash the pedal.  Can also adjust the speed down really, really, really slow (slower than other servo motors I used)  and this consew is a 600w motor and it has enough power to sew one stitch at a time through multiple layers.  I used a 400w servo for a while and if I turned the speed down, I would have to flip the handwheel to get it going if I was sewing 3 or 4+ layers at once. 

I never thought I would like the needle positioning as much as I have.  You can stop with either the needle up or down, then just tap the heel of the pedal and the needle jumps to the opposite position of where it stopped.  I never have to "walk" the machine by hand, as I can go a half stitch at a time with the pedal if I need to.  It works well and it was cheap, so I am more than happy with it.   Oh ya, and changing it out with my clutch motor took me all of about 10 minutes max.  I didn't even have to get a new belt.  What ever servo you look at, just make sure it was designed to use the same mounts as a clutch motor (most do, some don't, usually they will specify) then mounting it will be a piece of cake.

brmax

I picked up one of the 5000's from Greg in the link above and  can say with the 50mm pulley and no experiance you can sew so slow your bored. You can use the selector to adjust top speed very slow.  A start up or ramp up "as is one stitch at a time"- to full speed setting you might have to practice up and search up on. Im sure i can say with little help you can install the motor, if anything removing the older motor is the issue as its awkward. I promote using your local merchants, i did many years. i also enjoy this site and doing some research. ( only one way to know, ask )
Good Day