Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:16:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

stood by my work scheduale

Started by Mike, December 07, 2013, 10:08:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I had a repeat customer ask me about making his son a new t top canvas  I said I could copy his old if they bring it to me and they could save money and time. as I could get it done asap . but this week the guy called me back and said they don't want to be bothered and could o go look and give a price to do it all. and could I have it done the week before Christmas normal id be tempted to squeeze it in . but after looking there was a gpd antenna a anchor light and a vhf antenna and cord to deal with . my price more then doubled and I said I couldn't do it that soon.

JuneC

I always made a policy to never touch the stuff on top of a t-top.  All it would take is to drop the end of an antenna wire down into the tube and then have to dis-mount the whole enchilada just to fish the wire back out.  No thanks....

It's too late in the year now to promise 2013 delivery.  I might get it done, but no promises till January.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I got another one june Friday a past customer came in for a little alteration on a new boat canvas he got anyway he asded me I I got a call from his friend who has a large hatteras that needs a lot of canvas  that on the hard in a local yard . turns out he was going to have this other movile shop do it but  the buy ended up shutting down after his women left and told  him want doing it, so my guy say the boat will be there till mid January. as if I could even think of being able to compl,ete it by then. 
ive got a neighbor up the road who is helping a frind of his work on a grand banks that's in the same yard. said it has a lot of cushion work and covors and headliner  in the same yard and I can go look at it so I called the yard as I heard they had there own shop,  turns out it isn't true but they are charging vendors a dailey fee,  o don't like that idea or the idea of getting tied up on bug jobd anymore I like quick week long at best to turn around the money

baileyuph

So, what you guys are saying, best to keep your shirt on and manage your business more smartly.  I certainly advocate that!

I have been inundated lately, have also found the smart thing to do is not gouge and keep focused on doing things right and let the emotional side or lack of understanding part not be my problem.  One really has to keep the hand on the pulse of situations.

Is winter the push of canvas work in your parts?  Not here, it isn't as big a business anyway, but when it gets to cold to go to the lake, they forget their boats or quit spending on them.  We have seen an up tick in furniture, however.  I don't have a good reading on that issue, some thoughts but not sure of the clear picture.

I did and delivered quite a bit of furniture this past week, is it a new pattern? 

Doyle

Mike

Doyle as you know I only do boats, and with winter there are more customer who arrive and most have time limits to get it done while there here. like this guy has /had for xmass. but each year I have been more steady at a comfortable pace throughout the summer.

but I have been tempted to squeeze in a job not to say no only to have it bite me in the ass twofold after I do. number one im doing my current jobs trying to finnish  then the guy with the deadline get worried and starts calling you said you could do bla bla bla.  so now im realy squeezed for time getting the deadline guy done pissing off the guy I should have been doing so now I got 2 guy calling.  so I have been adjusting my thought to say no I cant do it by them or at that price.
I've found more peace of mind in one less job and taking the weekend off to go fishing then working the weekend and still having one upset customer

baileyuph

Mike that logic will turn out to be the best applied.  Don't let emotion overplay good business and personal principals.  In the play out. the monetary reward will be best and the best for your business.

Gradually raise your prices against that type of force from requestors, we all are a dying breed, those who have put their time in learning something that isn't in the book.

We can mess with holes in the cushion, when it is ours.  Wink

Doyle

JuneC

Remember, "no good deed goes unpunished".  It's true in canvas/upholstery scheduling.  Personally, I'm done trying to be all things to all people.   I got fried and my customers got mediocre work.  No more.  I "fuss" to my heart's content without watching the clock or calendar.  The money isn't crazy, but the work satisfaction is much better than before.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

December 09, 2013, 04:58:54 am #7 Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:01:43 am by Grebo
I had one last year, we were moving house & shop in December to get in before Christmas, so I had cleared a gap in the work.
A 'friend' gave us a helping hand moving some boxes & then asked if I could make a Christmas present for their partner.
How could I say no?.  No table assembled or machines set up. FFS. Yes I did it. Never again, took 10 times longer than normal because I didn't have time to sort everything out.
Now they have fallen out with my partner & don't speak to us.

Suzi

regalman190

I hear you Mike. I had a guy call me and wanted a full enclosure in Strataglass on a 39' Wellcraft and changing the back end to a camper back. That means new framework before I could pattern. Here's the catch.....he was relocating the boat in 10 days. Over 100 miles away. I passed.
Regal Canvas

Mike

his poor planning regal were was he 3 month ago

Mojo

I am finishing off an order, will start on another and then probably by Sunday be done for the year.
I am closing my shop for the holidays. If I get any orders ( unless they are emergency jobs ) I will tell my customers that delivery will be the second week of January.

Just as I anticipated things have slowed down which is a good thing. I really need this break. It has been an all out, crazy year with way to many 7 day a week schedules. Our 2013 sales are beyond belief.

I am going to get some Honey Do projects done around the house, relax and take it easy. I have a feeling that 2014 is going to be a very busy year. I want to enjoy my down time between now and then and before the mad rush and rally season starts.

Chris