Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 01:36:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstery in the higher technology world

Started by baileyuph, August 25, 2018, 06:19:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Interesting experience lately reupholstering LA-Z-Boy items - manufacturing technology has and is
changing!

I noted patterns by them are very accurate and the equipment/techniques  for sewing are
spot on.  Down to the stitch.

Another technique used by the corporation is the level of differential feed techniques used.

Yes! Very interesting how perfect/accurate their products are created.

But!  Trying to duplicate their capability with technology in the small shop is a challenge.  My shop

equipment just isn't the same.  No differential feed and my process is nothing like their digital approach.

There was part of the work that led to deeper thinking in terms how will this be duplicated -

some couldn't real closely, but the process came out with customer satisfaction.

I am seeing this issue in the newer auto seat upholstery also, their interior support contractors are just as

advanced!  Their work comes out perfect, no flaws any where.

To include in this overview of our work - also, marine work has and is done  digitally gone in this direction also.

All said and left with the thought about - what will shops like ours evolve into?

More replacement of upholstery shipped in to be replaced by installers (less cut and sew)?

Any related experiences to some of these issues - you might care to express?  It it is what it is and

is becoming more interesting as the changes occur.

Doyle

MinUph

I see this also in newer pieces. I'm certain the process of patterning and sewing is almost if not all automated. Just the amount of pieces that are shaped and sewn together lends itself to CAD CAM rather than CAD and MAN:)
  I doubt anyone could sew some of these by hand any more. Sure there are excellent stitchers but the time it would take would be cost prohibitive alone. Let alone the spoilage. Just seeing some of the sewing equipment used in factory settings makes this all make sense.
  What we will do to renovate this furniture, and cars, and such is up in the air. I price this sort of stuff very high and don't mind loosing the job because of the pricing as I know there will be a lot of time spent just figuring it out. And hopefully being able to get it sewn together near correctly.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Look at the wood products today.  Talk about changes ..........When I was working just out of high school I never saw a frame stapled together - now that is mostly what you see.
You never saw a piece of furniture made w/connector bolts or legs that screw on with a hanger bolt.  From the days of hand tied springs covered in horsehair to zig zags or drop in units with foam or dacron padding - fabrication techniques are really changing.  Finishes and stains are sprayed on the wood and may be water based or cured by a light.  All these practices are easier, cheaper,  and faster for the fabricator but mostly not better.  Invest in antiques - the quality is going away on the new goods. 
SA

baileyuph

Wood products today......

The frame (main components), during repair recently - was particle wood and not composed very
tightly. 

The younger market, for most that is, do not appreciate the furniture architecture built some 40 or so
years ago.  The modern built back then (often referred to Danish Modern) is appreciated more so by that
group.

It appears that "cost" is another factor - to build like was done, the price would require some getting
used to and just not affordable.

Yep, those big staples in soft particle wood, just won't bear the load.  To add to all this, a lot of
customers are just too "heavy".

Maybe there are other ventures (other than) to consider?

Doyle

kodydog

It seems like Laz-Z-Boy and all other recliner manufactures are putting most of their efforts onto the outside if the chair and completely given up on building a stable frame or anything else that cannot be seen by the customer. Including padding like seat foam that loses support after 6 months and inside back padding made from nothing but loose fill that compacts down to nothing after a year.

I wrote an answer to this question on Quora
What are the best American manufacturers of Reclining furniture?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-American-manufacturers-of-Reclining-furniture
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Our head stitcher came from a large RV dealership that had an upholstery shop. I thought they recovered all the seats on motorhomes
in their shop. Turns out all they do is order the covers from the manufacturer and then recover them. I was surprised.

I know the husband and wife owners of a large bus conversion company. They invited my wife and I over to stay with them and tour their
facility. The private coaches they build sell for $ 2.5 million. They have a large upholstery shop and hand make everything there including the sofa's. These have custom curves and could never be found anywhere. The reason they do all the upholstery is because they use almost exclusively leathers, some exotic. Their upholstery guys are amazing.

They have a cabinet shop which also makes the frames for the sofa's and chairs. The only thing they buy are the pilot/copilot seat frames which they custom make the covers and foam for.

In the awning business, the OEM companies use huge machines to knock out awnings in minutes. 1 operator runs the entire process. The machine does everything. Technology is amazing but for stitchers like all of us we cannot afford these high dollar machines. I can see more recovers coming in the future for auto's, etc.

Mojo

baileyuph

Mojo,

All you say is very interesting - would there be something or someway to read more about
the canvas advanced technology?

I know you are busy, therefore just keep the question in mind should you come across more of
the technical capabilities in the future.

As always,
enjoy your information shared.

Doyle

Mojo

Doyle:

I watched a video on youtube of an awning making machine once. I went back to watch it again and it was gone.
I have no idea the name of the machine in order to read about it. If I do run across it I will post it. I was gob smacked watching that machine. It was huge.

Mojo

Mojo

Doyle:

Here is a smaller version of an automated awning maker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKwbkLXXPHo

The one I seen before was huge and made patio awnings 22 ft long. You put a roll of fabric on it and entered the length and
width and it did the rest - cut, sew, etc.

Mojo