Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 10:31:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Market Deceptions Taking Place - noticed?

Started by baileyuph, August 05, 2018, 06:48:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

So much of US furniture marketed today was manufactured in China (we know). 

Suspect, others have noticed that other than upholsters.  As an upholster and done considerable repairs over the years have observed that much of the furniture was not - manufacturer labeled.

Sensitivity to imported articles has increased.

With that, I have noticed the same retailers of foreign built upholstery, are displaying colorful tags
attached.  Saw this situation recently where the main tag exhibited in large colorful print bearing the name: "SIMMONS" attached to upholstered pieces.  Simmons, I recalled was a major bedding manufacture, years ago (American of course).

That got my attention and I read the entire tag on the furniture.......... which got interesting.  Turns
out, Simmons them selves are not involved in the literal building.  Instead, they have a contract with
an older builder in the state of MS - read on. 

But this older American builder, as stated on the furniture tag, did not build the furniture.  Additional
reading on the tag, it was learned that they "assemble" parts to the furniture that is actually
manufactured in --- you guessed it:  CHINA. 

Which leads to -  one has to have a greater understanding of the terms -- "Brand (remember Simmons),
Assembler of some parts (remember the MS furniture who is an older company who did build in the past).

Then, searching the furniture tag carefully, China was expressed as a manufacturer - an importer.

Of course, I am biased to think this arrangement of marketing (Simmons), (assembler), and (manufacturer) is an investment but done in a manner that almost shields the fact the product is foreign made - and offers the impression that an American company is marketing a product made in the same country.

Although I am biased, I do think this is a "creative way" of doing business.  Those tags with the
enlarged "SIMMONS" label make a "first impression" that can be very deceptive.

BTW, the information being presented was also noted at another retailer -- down to the letter
of Brand, Assembler, and manufacturer paying a roll in the marketing strategy down to the bold
colorful print of a previous American builder/manufacturer/ etc.

Doyle

kodydog

Go on the internet and read survey after survey about Americans who claim they care if products are really made in America. Actual spending habits tell a different story.

Priorities for most American shoppers is a good deal. To those of us in the furniture trade a good deal is a well made product. Something that is stylish and will last for generations. To American shoppers a good deal is cheap furniture.

A Reuters-Ipsos poll found 69 percent of people surveyed said price is "very important" when they buy something. Only 32 percent said making sure something is made in the United States is "very important" to them.

American manufactures of fine furniture made their reputation on the backs of American laborer's and sold their products to hard working Americans and in turn made a good name for themselves. But at the drop of a hat in the name of profits they outsource to China, Vietnam, India and Korea to name just a few. The product is crap but because of their reputation they are able to market it as high end and at an affordable price. And at the same time they tell the public they are an American owned company leading them to believe it is made in America.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

On Sat I had to go pick up a chair for repair.  Less than 3 years old.   L/R chair - 4 zig zag springs. On one end the clips attached directly to the back frame rail.  On the front side the clips attached to a piece of solid wood that was attached to the front rail with staples, screws, and glue.  The whole thing fell apart.  The surprising thing is that the chair is made by Stickely. 
They will not cover the repair and customer is out of pocket.  Even a good name - made here - not made to last

SteveA

This table just came in a few minutes ago.  Made out of paper and wood.  Ethan Allen should be good quality right ?

Mojo

Doyle:

I find your post very timely as I am struggling with new marketing and branding campaigns for 2019. Our biggest competitor plays these labeling and deception games. They tout American made products and even go as far as to hand out baseball hats as giveaways with their logo and of course an American flag on the side of the cap.

Turns out that while they are a California company touting their American location their entire sewing operation is quietly located in Mexico just across the US border. Even the owner admitted to it and said what a great deal he gets on ;labor costs.

I will not call them out publicly but am struggling to find a way to market around them. I found your post interesting.

Mojo

kodydog

How about something like this,

Our company does not outsource and we do no subcontract. Everything is made inhouse to insure the highest standards possible.

This way you aren't calling anybody out and at the same time planting that little seed of doubt about competitors into the minds of potential customers.

baileyuph

Kodydog,

Good report overviewing what drives consumers - PRICE!

It can get disgusting:  Today I had a call asking for a "quote" on foam for a cushion.  That is all that was
said!

The kindergarden approach was inevitable.  I actually had to get the caller to "think"  about how big, how thick, and lastly that all foam is not created equal! 

An example of what your point was - regarding "price".

These are the days that causes me to wonder about people.

Doyle

baileyuph

Steve,

That ornate period stool with the broken parts -  the stool looks impressive, you are the ace who can
handle the "fix".  The customer has to be one who appreciates, what that piece is and was lucky to find
you.

Do me a favor, just briefly overview the process you go through to restore that piece.  It is literally
something that carries a lot of history with it, regardless if it is old or something made to look old.  It doesn't look like a cheap piece of paper.....

Thanks for presenting,

Doyle 

SteveA

Hey Doyle - always nice words from you - Thank You.
It isn't a stool - it's the Ethan Allen Pineapple Table.  Not valuable - made from wood and paper.  The support piece that the top attaches to was torn apart.  I glued the layers together and filled the voids with bondo glass. 

A foot was broken off I re-glued that and touched up. 

The harder part was a damaged top surface.  I forgot to take a before photo but the top had a 4 inch x 1/2 inch piece of veneer broken out from the edge and the veneer lost.
I filled with regular bondo - further filled with timbermate - slowly built back the coloring without going too dark.  I highlighted the areas so up close you can see the repair when you know where to look - otherwise no one will pick out the fill in.  The finish was satin lacquer and I rubbed the whole top so all would blend. 

kodydog

Awesome job on the repair Steve. Its amazing what furniture is made of these days. What really cought my eye in your photo is the eliptoid inlay to the right of the repair. Does that pattern repeat around the table.

SteveA

Yes it does have an elliptical inlay along the edge.  The lighting in the shop was casting shadows and a certain amount of chatoyance can't be avoided.  Here is a photo outside on my way to delivery

baileyuph

Today, worked on an upholstery cushion  - typical of what would be used on a bench at the foot
of the bed.

The requirement was to resize the brand new cushion - a bit smaller.

Like stated brand new, never used. 

To me, sort of interesting because it used polyester batting for filler about 4" depth.  My mind quickly
reasoned that issue was about cost - poly batting would cost less than foam.

Then, I read the two or three tags attached which stated:

Made by Home Fashions,
International Incorporated (Int'l Inc)
located at 418 Chandler Dr.
Gaffney, SC 29340

Made in China

Finished in USA

Easily interpreted that the cushion cover was made in China, then shipped to the USA and
filled with the poly batting.

Smart plan on the company's part to keep freight lower because it reduces the cargo space
significantly, plus it does deceive the truth regarding - foreign made.

Get ready folks, this is merely another sample of what has been already mentioned, expect to
see more of this build/marketing strategy.  Don't know but it might reduce the tariff on product parts
entering this country?

Equally important to all this is for Americans to compete with cheaper labor, it will have to be done
with automation.

Mojo, the automation of making marine items, you mentioned (one person produces large items using automation)
is the effective tool to compete with imports.

It is possible by business investments - much larger than the smaller shops we talk about.

Doyle