Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 11:02:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

$1.85 gasoline

Started by byhammerandhand, September 10, 2015, 10:41:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Holy cow!  Gas just hit $1.85 / gal here today.   I'm taking the truck on a 1500 mile round trip next week and glad to see cheap gas!
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on September 10, 2015, 10:41:37 am
Holy cow!  Gas just hit $1.85 / gal here today.   I'm taking the truck on a 1500 mile round trip next week and glad to see cheap gas!
You should drive down here before you gas up. It's $1.78.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

I had a customer this spring complaining that the well on his land up your way they stoped working it while they drilled 2 more well on his land and was  short on funds. yesterday he was complaining that they drilled 3 more but gas was so low he was making about the same as before

Darren Henry

Somebody is ripping us off up here. Our gas is back down to $1.039/ LITRE which works out to $4.72 per US gallon.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Not my intent to be too cynical:

The last 7 years you can easily see gas prices drop every time obama's ratings drop.

It is possible that it is just a coincidence. I don't know if it is a cause an effect, but there certainly is a positive correlation.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

O'Bama's popularity slipping - oh well ! Hope & Chance will be written about for many years.  Back to Gas - supply and demand ? - calm Middle East ? Water routes ?
Good time for the Feds to raise the taxes on gas -  Don't get too comfortable - another hike will come - buy fuel stocks while they're  low.
I have a jeep hemi and a Ford v-8   and I don't care what the price of gas goes too - they are not talking me into one of those 2.8 things.
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on September 11, 2015, 05:40:57 am
The last 7 years you can easily see gas prices drop every time obama's ratings drop.

It is possible that it is just a coincidence.
It's normal to witness this phenomenon toward the end of a president's FIRST term. But where's the incentive to do it in year 3 of a second term?

This is normally the time when they start pardoning felons, and commuting prison sentences. And all their loyal trusted cabinet members suddenly resign "to spend more time their family".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

September 11, 2015, 10:52:24 am #7 Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:53:15 am by byhammerandhand
Some of you may or may not know that I have a bachelor's and master's degree in theoretical math.  I found out later that the professor I had for Mathematical Logic in grad school was at the time working on a controversial way of mathematical proof involving computers.  He ended up solving a long outstanding "Four-color Theorem."   But I digress.   One of my favorite books was "How to Lie with Statistics"   Mark Twain said, "There are three types of lies -- Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics."

And watch for correlations: http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/11/nick-cage-movies-vs-drownings-and-more-strange-but-spurious-correlations/

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scott_san_diego

No need to raise taxes on gas.  Those of us that live in California pay enough taxes on gasoline.  I just paid $2.99 at Costco on 9/9/15.  We are probably paying .85 cents per gallon just in taxes.

Darren Henry

Our retailers make around 3 cents per litre. The rest is taxes. That is why you cannot buy a fan belt or light bulb at the "service station" anymore --- only pop,chips, and c-store items.

BTW; I was corrected this morning about the conversions I used. One litre is 4.54 IMPERIAL gallons. A US gallon is only 3.9 ---so like--- $4.02/US gallon.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

September 13, 2015, 06:57:39 am #10 Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:05:05 am by kodydog
The nation has some 20 different blends of gasoline to meet overlapping state and federal guidelines. The reason for the different grades of gas comes down to trying to control VOCs (volatile organic compounds) that are more likely to evaporate the hotter it gets.

Different states and cities have their own rules based upon their seasonal temperatures--Washington State needs different summer gas than, say, Florida. That's why there are so many blends. To make it more complicated, the time for switching from summer- to winter-blend gasoline varies by state too.

In winter you can blend butane, which is relatively plentiful and cheap, with gasoline. But butane can't be used in summer, when it would immediately boil off as a gas. So "purer" summer gasoline is by default costlier.

On top of that the U.S is no longer so dependent on Saudi oil. Due to the phenomenon of fracking, of drilling for oil and gas in shale deposits having a revolutionary effect on oil production in the U.S. and elsewhere. By now, we're told; the U.S. is producing about as much oil as it did 40 or 50 years ago.

In word and in deed, Obama has made no secret of his abhorrence of the oil, gas and coal industries. (And I will add Nuclear) Through regulation at EPA, through a virtual drilling moratorium on federal lands, and by not building pipelines, the president has done almost everything imaginable to stop domestic oil production. Obamas energy secretary, Steven Chu stated, "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe." His theory is the higher we make gas prices the less consumption we'll have.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html