Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 08:24:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Upholstered Today - WHO HOO!!

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, March 18, 2016, 03:02:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Did some real work this afternoon.  Still in my full leg brace.  I was working on a set of dining room chairs for a repeat customer.  Fortunately had finished two of the six before Missy and I collided.  It is just the two of them.  So I called and explained my situation and offered the two finished to pick up,  They were delighted that they could sit in their new chair seats.  They had gone somewhere and had new wood cut and I replaced the foam as well as new fabric.  Not my choice of fabric but they purchased it.  I'm just not sure how well it will hold up over time but they purchased it.

At any rate, I carefully slid down the stairs yesterday and organized 2 sets of seats and put all the tools I would need in my traveling tool bag and put everything together on my extension table.    After supper last night, Bob emptied trash and then went downstairs and brought everything up.

So, first I recovered from my Friday morning venture out to breakfast with Bob and then sat in the car while Bob ran into the store to grab a few things.  After lunch, I scrubbed the table within an inch of its life and after it dried, I sat up shop.  Was hoping to stretch both seats but got started later than I wanted to and I probably don't have all of my strength back so it took a while to stretch it as tightly as I wanted.  However, got one stretched.  Hope to stretch the other seat tomorrow after my bridal party leaves.  Then Sunday morning I'll go downstairs and arrange the materials for the other two seats and have Bob bring them up after he starts the first load of laundry.  With luck, I'll get both seats stretched on Sunday and can call my customer to pick up either Sun or Mon.

Anyway, felt great to actually work.  Sat in my dining room chair dangling my bad leg (bar height stools) so I was in no danger of putting any weight on my knee.  I have another project downstairs I would like to get started on once these seats are finished.  I'm just being very cautious as it's too close to the finish line to screw my leg up even worse at this point.  I'll sleep like the dead tonight for sure!

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Had quite a couple of busy days yesterday and today. 

Yesterday morning, headed downstairs, to collect receipt and box for dead stapler and worked on taxes as long as i was down there.  Called Home Depot and gave them the SKU, also explained about my using crutches/wearing a knee brace and asked could they have the replacement at Customer Service desk.  Now I will say that up till now I've not been all that impressed with the personnel at Home Depot.  You can never find one when you have a question or if you do, they are in a gaggle, gossiping like magpies or they act like they have absolutely zero interest in answering your question or helping you to locate what you are looking for.  So, imagine my surprise when as soon as I got out of my HHR yesterday, the guy I talked to came barreling out of the store, introducing himself as the gentleman who had talked to me.  Grabbed my bag I had slung across my shoulders and directed me to the shortest route to the customer service desk.  Already had the replacement at the desk.  Another dude did what needed to be done and I was out of the store in less than 5 minutes.  The gentleman I talked to carried my bag (my away from home tool bag with a great shoulder strap) out to the front of the store.  Bob had been circling the parking lot and was there toot sweet and we were gone.  Man I was glad that guy was waiting for me.  Bob wanted to do this but I was thinking they would credit my account and then run another charge but they just did it as an even swap out so I didn't have to sign.  Had I known that, Bob would have done the honors.  Zipped over to Runza for burgers and fries.  Once home, I elevated my leg, dang it swells fast still.  After the swelling had gone down, Bob moved my dress form over in front of the couch and brought out the bridesmaid dress that needed some reinforcement on a couple of tacks I had sewn in.  Got everything shored up and called the Mother of the Bride who will pick up tomorrow.  The jaunt into Home Depot really trashed me nothing but quick and as I said before only to the service desk and back and Bob dropped me off and met me at the door.  What a lightweight I've become.

Slept until almost 8 this morning and crashed about 9 last night.  Had to get up once to use the facilities in the night but went back to sleep right away.  Finally rolled off the couch and started sucking coffee down.  Ate breakfast and cleaned up.  Bob went to the store for essentials because we have "weather" coming in (60 MPH+ wind gusts even as we speak and Bob had to chase the garbage can half way down the street-now in the garage for the night - LOL),  While he was gone, I cleaned the horribly neglected glass stove top and headed off down stairs to continue working on taxes.  Broke for lunch and to elevate my leg again.  Then I relocated to the dining room and finished dining room chair seat #5 and started and finished #6 as well.  Bob took them downstairs when he ran a load of towels through the washer and dryer.  Will call customer tomorrow morning to let them know they are ready for pick up.  I'm thinking with Easter this weekend, they may very well be glad for 4 more seats (remember they arleady had picked up the 2 I had stretched before Missy and I collided).

I know to you healthy people this doesn't sound like a lot, but this has me seriously worn out.  Just have to deal with taxes and working on embroidery designs for the confirmation stole so I'm good now.  Have 3 appointments for the first week in April though so I should be back to normal in no time flat.

Virginia